Help again

mathisfun

Hello I have another problem I would like you guys to check it but I think I did it wrong.

Age Energy Needed
(Years) (calories)
1 1100
2 1300
5 1800
8 2200
11 2500
14 2800
17 3000
a. Graph the data. Model the data with a linear equation
b. Estimate the daily energy requirements for a male 16 years old.
c. Do you think your model also applies to adult males? Explain

Here are my answers
a. I do not know how to graph this on the computer but my linear model is y=119.401x+1110.677?
b.3014?
c.No?

Looks good to me. You might want to expand on your answer to (c), though.

Eliz.

i was confused on letter b because I got an answer more than 3000 for 16 but 17 was exactly 3000.

Regression equations are the "best" fit, not an exact fit. And they're a fit to the data provided, not to the underlying actuality.

Eliz.

mathisfun said:
Hello I have another problem I would like you guys to check it but I think I did it wrong.

Age Energy Needed
(Years) (calories)
1 1100
17 3000
a. Graph the data. Model the data with a linear equation
b. Estimate the daily energy requirements for a male 16 years old.
c. Do you think your model also applies to adult males? Explain

Here are my answers
a. I do not know how to graph this on the computer but my linear model is y=119.401x+1110.677?
b.3014?
c.No?

a. I think, it doesn't make sense to use so many significant digits for so rough model. Your data are not specified with 6 digits to start with. It is also unclear where did you get 1110.677 from? It is too high for given data.
b. as your equation is off the number you got for 16 years exceeds number for 17 years. I'd expect closer match if the model is of any value.

I don't know how the poster is getting these values, but I used the linear-regression tool on my graphing calculator and got the same results.

The model doesn't fit the young adult as well as the younger children because his growth rate is slowing and his metabolic needs are stablizing.

Remember that the "best fit" line is the best fit for all of the points, not just the endpoints.

Eliz.