Help! And laugh if you like! (font sizes for logo with different dimensions)

ziva

I am making a logo in 4 different sizes - small, medium, large and extra large - and need help calculating what should be the font size for the logo, if I reduce or increase the logo’s rectangle size according to certain percentages. I think the answer has to do with the proportion of two proportions: the dimensions or area of the rectangle in proportion to the text font size, or the area occupied by the text font size.

The medium size of the logo is when the logo is considered at its ideal size, that is, 100 %.

Logo description: two lines of text within a white rectangle.

White rectangle dimensions: 1000 px (pixel) width by 500 px height (ratio of dimension is 3:1)

First line of logo text font size: 45 pts:
Second line of logo text font size: 15 pts
Font size ratio: 3:1

See an example here.

My question is: what should be the font size (Take into account the font size ratio) if the white rectangle is rendered (taking into account the 1:3 rectangle dimension ratio) in:

(1) the large size (150%): 1500 px width by 500 px height.
(2) the extra large size (200%): 2000 px width by 666.66 px height
(3) the small size (50 %): 500 px width by 166.66 px height
(4) the extra small size (25%): 250 px width by 83.333 px height.

Thank you, stranger.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 4.21.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 4.21.01 AM.png
    53 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am making a logo in 4 different sizes - small, medium, large and extra large - and need help calculating what should be the font size for the logo, if I reduce or increase the logo’s rectangle size according to certain percentages. I think the answer has to do with the proportion of two proportions: the dimensions or area of the rectangle in proportion to the text font size, or the area occupied by the text font size.

The medium size of the logo is when the logo is considered at its ideal size, that is, 100 %.

Logo description: two lines of text within a white rectangle.

White rectangle dimensions: 1000 px (pixel) width by 500 px height (ratio of dimension is 3:1)
The ratio of 1000 to 500 is the ratio of 2 to 1, not 3 to 1. Which part(s) is/are in error? Please provide corrections.

First line of logo text font size: 45 pts:
Second line of logo text font size: 15 pts
Font size ratio: 3:1
Are the fonts the same? Is the style of the two lines the same (italic, bold, etc)? Is it required that the ratio of the points remains the same, or can adjustments for legibility be made?

See an example here.
"here" had nothing there; just blank space. Kindly please reply with clarification.

My question is: what should be the font size (Take into account the font size ratio) if the white rectangle is rendered (taking into account the 1:3 rectangle dimension ratio) in:

(1) the large size (150%): 1500 px width by 500 px height.
(2) the extra large size (200%): 2000 px width by 666.66 px height
(3) the small size (50 %): 500 px width by 166.66 px height
(4) the extra small size (25%): 250 px width by 83.333 px height.
What editing tools do you have? What options do you have?

When you reply, please include a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far, any/all rules that are to be applied to this exercise, and what topic in your calculus class generated this question. Thank you.

Eliz.

Hello Eliz, thank you for responding. The problem has been solved. The answer was just to use the "scaling" tool in Adobe Illustrator.