Help Converting Data to 1-100 Range

ohiojosh78

Hello all

If i have a group of numbers (lets use 13, 72, 46 for example) how would i go about forcing them into a 1-100 scale whereas the 13 is converted to 1, the 72 to 100? What formula would i use?

I am doing this in excel so if there is a function for this also please let me know too!

Also, what would this action or transference be called?

THANK YOU!!!

Do you recall writing the equation of a line in algebra, given two points?

You want to make a line through the points (13, 1) and (72, 100). There are a couple ways to do that; one is to find the slope and then use the point-slope form of a line. (I'm assuming you want a linear scale, and not something else, like logarithmic.)

The process can be called scaling or normalization, and is the same basic idea as the "z-score" in probability (though that's a little simpler).

A linear function is of the form y=ax+b for constants a and b. You want x= 13, y= 1, x= 72, y= 100. So you want 1= 13a+b, 100= 72a+ b. That gives two equations to solve for a and b. Then see what the formula gives for x= 43.

On a sheet of paper draw the x-y axis. On the x-axis place the numbers 1 through 100. On the y axis place the numbers 13 through 72. Plot the point (13,1) and (72, 100). Draw a line through the two points. There is your conversion and you do not even need a formula. You may have to estimate but maybe that does not matter.