Help Exponent Multiplication Variable Bases: m^-3 * y^5 = , X^-3 * y^2 * z^-9 = , (-2x)^3 / 4x =

JennyJones

Hello Everyone,

I'm struggling to help my daughter with beginners algebra - it's been too long for me. If anyone has a moment to provide some high level concepts, I would definitely appreciate it.

m^-3 * y^5 =

X^-3 * y^2 * z^-9 =

(-2x)^3 / 4x =

I'm using ^ to represent exponents. I provided answers to these, but I'm not confident they're correct and concerned that I might be teaching incorrect concepts. Thank you in advance !

Jenny

Hello Everyone,

I'm struggling to help my daughter with beginners algebra - it's been too long for me. If anyone has a moment to provide some high level concepts, I would definitely appreciate it.

m^-3 * y^5 =

X^-3 * y^2 * z^-9 =

(-2x)^3 / 4x =

I'm using ^ to represent exponents. I provided answers to these, but I'm not confident they're correct and concerned that I might be teaching incorrect concepts. Thank you in advance !

Jenny
The first two of these have different bases, so they can't be simplified unless, perhaps, the instructions said to avoid negative exponents.

The third is considerably more complicated, but not extremely so.

Please show us your answers, so we can see whether you do need more help. (Also please include the instructions, so we can be sure what is expected.)

In addition, you may benefit from a site or two with lessons. Here is one I like (look at all three parts):

If you showed us your work/answers we can help you better.

For the fist two use this concept. Suppose a, b, c and d are all positive. wax-by-czd = wazd/{xbyc}

For the last one use: (-ax)c =(-1)c(a)c(x)c = -acxc and xa/xb = xa-b or 1/xb-a

If you showed us your work/answers we can help you better.

For the fist two use this concept. Suppose a, b, c and d are all positive. wax-by-czd = wazd/{xbyc}

For the last one use: (-ax)c =(-1)c(a)c(x)c = -acxc and xa/xb = xa-b or 1/xb-a
@Steven G

you are saying:

(-ax)^c = - a^c * x^c

Above will be true if (c) is an odd integer. However, with reference to OP, 'c' is given as an odd integer (= 3).

Hello Everyone,

m^-3 * y^5 =

X^-3 * y^2 * z^-9 =

(-2x)^3 / 4x =

Jenny
Are these the "answers" you "provided"?
[math] m^{-3}\times y^5=\frac{y^5}{m^3}\\x^{-3}\times y^2\times z^{-9}=\frac{y^2}{x^3\times z^9}\\ \frac{(-2x)^3}{4x}=-2x^2[/math]Please show us your "
answers". ?‍♂️