(Help) Find the x-intercepts (horizontal intercepts) of the function

Hi. The symbol f(x) is another name for variable y.

y = 2|x + 4| – 2

I've never seen x-intercepts referred to as "horizontal intercepts". Those intercepts are points where an equations graph touches the x-axis.

All x-intercepts take the form (x, 0). In other words, the y-coordinate is always zero at an x-intercept.

Therefore, to find x-intercepts, we set y equal to zero, and then solve for x.

0 = 2|x + 4| – 2

If you need more help, then please explain why you're stuck. Here's a summary link to the forum's posting guidelines. Thank you.

:)
[imath]\;[/imath]

I've never seen x-intercepts referred to as "horizontal intercepts".
I've taught from a textbook that used this term, and I found it very useful, because it allowed them to use variables other than x and y, without changing terms to, say, "t-intercept". In graphing rational equations, we'd find the HI, VI, HA, and VA (asymptotes), regardless of the variables involved.

My answer is (-5,0), (-3,0) but it says it is incorrect?
Hi. Those are correct coordinates for the two x-intercept points, for the equation shown in post#1.

I'm thinking that you've misquoted the equation in post#4, because the exercise asks for intercepts (plural), but the equation in post#4 has only one intercept.

You also wrote, "it says" without telling us what "it" is. Are you trying to say that you'd submitted your answers online and a machine rejected them? If so, then look for input instructions at the web site or app. If you don't see information about the form they expect you to use, then try entering only the x-values: -5 and -3. If that does not work, then post screenshots of what you submit and the displayed result. Thanks!

:)
[imath]\;[/imath]