Help for son: Quadratic polynomial with 4 terms and a leading coefficient of 3

mvogel04

Hello! I'm trying to help my son with the following and am unable to assist him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Create polynomials, written in standard form, with the following classifications:

Quadratic polynomial with 4 terms and a leading coefficient of 3

Last edited:
Create polynomials, written in standard form, with the following classifications:

1. Quadratic polynomial with 4 terms and a leading coefficient of 3

2. 8th degree polynomial with 6 terms and a leading coefficient of 1
Question (1) looks like it has a typographical error. In Standard Form, a quadratic polynomial (aka: 2nd-degree polynomial) has at most 3 terms:

Ax^2 + Bx + C

The leading coefficient A cannot equal zero, but B or C can. In other words, each of the following examples are quadratic polynomials:

-4x^2 + 17x - 43 (3 terms -- A,B,C all non-zero)

2/3 x^2 - 4/5 (2 terms -- B=0)

11x^2 + 7x (2 terms -- C=0)

-x^2 (1 terms -- B=0 & C=0)

There are lots of lessons available on-line, for your son's review. For example, I googled keywords polynomial standard form, and found this page.

Does your son understand the following terminology?

polynomial

degree

terms

coefficients

Last edited:
Hello! I'm trying to help my son with the following two questions and am unable to assist him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Quadratic polynomial with 4 terms and a leading coefficient of 3

2. 8th degree polynomial with 6 terms and a leading coefficient of 1
Please have your student reply with the correct text of the exercises. When he replies, please have him post a clear listing of his thoughts and efforts so far, so that we can "see" where he's getting stuck.

Note: There are infinitely-many "right" answers for this sort of exercise. ;)