Help kids homework - moved from Calculus forum

gdk

Screenshot_20220928_222721.jpg
Hi, can some one help me with this please.

Is it 36/1.8171

Thanks

View attachment 34179
Hi, can some one help me with this please.

Is it 36/1.8171

Thanks
NO - The answer should be a "power of 6".

Use the properties of exponents (not calculator). Use

\(\displaystyle \sqrt[m]{x^n} = x^{\frac{n}{m}} \) ..................and

\(\displaystyle \frac{u^p}{u^w} = u^{p-w}\)

If you are still stuck, please post back.

1664444105429.png

The problem is slightly confusing because “single exponent” may be (incorrectly) interpreted as a single digit. What is meant is that the answer desired will be in the form of [imath]6^a[/imath], where represents a number like [imath]19[/imath] or [imath]1/2[/imath].

Thankyou for your replies, above is no help to me ? i was asking on behalf of my year 8 son, he has looked at your replies and has confused him even more.

back to the teacher for him.

Kind regards
Among other things, this is why it is extremely valuable, when you ask for help, to give this contextual information up front. (It doesn't help that you evidently thought "calculus" meant "calculation", or something like that, which was misleading.)

The best way to get help is to show an attempt, so we can see what he knows, and where he has trouble. He might know the rules for exponents but had trouble with the fractional exponent implied by the radical (as pka is suggesting); or he might not know how to convert a radical to a fractional power in the first place; or any of several other things. The attempt you showed suggests that either you or he didn't understand what the question is asking for, perhaps because of not reading the textbook or class notes.

If what you wanted was an actual solution of the problem, that is not what we do. If you wanted a textbook explanation of how to do this, you could find one, such as these:

Would you like to show us his attempt now? We can probably do a lot better.