Help me draw hexagons.

TachoTuesday

Hi, sorry if this is not an appropriate question, i felt it worked best in the geometry section.
I am trying to draw a hexagon pattern for a game I want to make, and I haven't been able to find a program that will run on my slow computer, but I just want measurements that I can draw on a sheet of paper, like x,y coordinates, that when I connect the dots it will draw a series a perfect Triangles and then I can just trace my lines where the hexagons are. I also want the lines so that the center of each hexagon is marked. I attached an image to show what I'm trying to accomplish.MAth.png

It looks like you've done well already.

Even if this isn't your own drawing, it shows what I'd do: just make a grid of equilateral triangles (the light lines), which have only one measurement (the length of each side), and draw your hexagons along the appropriate segments. If you tried to use other measurements, such as x and y coordinates, any slight error would mess it up.

Are you really asking how to get the equilateral triangles right? That will depend on what tools you want to use.

So you want to draw it on paper, using only a ruler. You can't use a compass? That would make it easy. You don't need a protractor, if that's what you're thinking. (But why can't you? Do you mean you don't know how, or is someone forbidding it?)

Another way to get the right angle is with a little bit of origami. With two or three folds, you can make a fold in the right direction, and then replicate that with the ruler.

If you insist on just the ruler, then just make the lines with a slope of [MATH]\sqrt{3}\approx 1.732[/MATH]. That is, for every centimeter across, you go 1.732 cm up or down.

Also that was from me using the computer, and I want to be able to draw it.
Have a close look at this page.
At that page one can copy the images.

The best way to do this on a commuter is to plot the six sixth roots of a number.
If we can plot \(\displaystyle (\sqrt[6]{5}\exp(ki\pi/3),~k=0,1,\cdots,5\)
GO TO THIS PAGE scroll down to see the perfect regular hexagon.

wow, thank you for the responses and the links! So it would be easier with a compass? I want to draw it out on paper, specifically the pattern I have the paint image of.