Help me solve this trig identity please (SOLVED)

sandman369

Prove: [2cot(?/2 - x)] / [1 - tan[sup:lo8139y3]2[/sup:lo8139y3]x] = tan(2x)

I tried:

Left Side
= 2 / [tan(?/2 - x)][1 - tan[sup:lo8139y3]2[/sup:lo8139y3]x]
= 2 / ([tan(?/2) - tanx] / [1 + tan(?/2)tanx])(1 - tan[sup:lo8139y3]2[/sup:lo8139y3]x) ---> because tan(A - B) = (tanA - tanB) / (1 + tanAtanB)

but then I don't know what to do... tan(?/2) is undefined, and I don't know how to get rid of any tan(?/2) or denominators of cos(?/2).

Re: Help me solve this trig identity please

cot(?/2 - x) = tan x

Then convert everything to sine and cosine. You will find that you soon end up with (sin 2x)/(cos 2x), so back to tan you go.

I don't understand how you got to that step??

\(\displaystyle \frac{2\cot (\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{1-\tan^2x}=\tan 2x\)

Here's your left side first step.

\(\displaystyle \frac{2\tan x}{1-\tan^2x}=?\)

From here, change to sines and cosines and go from there. If you get stuck, show us your steps so we can see if you are on the right track.

Loren, from your first step it looks like you're saying that \(\displaystyle cot(\frac{\pi}{2} - x)\) is equal to \(\displaystyle tanx\) ? Is this a standard identity, or am I missing something? Very confused sorry :(

edit: Nevermind, after looking through the identities on this site, I found that it is indeed the case... funny, our teacher never even mentioned that property throughout the entire course, yet decides to put this question on our EXAM. Nice. I will give it a go now.

(final)edit: Ok I went through and solved it using that special identity and got it. Then I thought, hmm maybe you can do it without knowing that identity, otherwise I will have to complain to the teacher lol ... So I went through and solved it by converting cot to cos/sin in the first step, and used the sum/difference identities to weed out the cos(pi/2) which gives 0, and it all worked out to the same conclusion.

So in final conclusion, on the exam I stupidly didn't even think to change cot into cos/sin, I kept using 1/tan and getting stuck, but now I figured it out (too late to get the marks though, doh!)

Thanks Loren!

sin(?/2 - ?) = cos(?) ? provable through expansion of sin(A+B) = sin(A)*cos(B) + sin(B)*cos(A)

and

cos(?/2 - ?) = sin(?) ? provable through expansion of cos(A+B) = cos(A)*cos(B) - sin(B)*sin(A)

from there you can prove:

cot(?/2-?) = [cos(?/2 - ?)]/[sin(?/2 - ?) ] = sin(?)/cos(?) = tan(?)

These are corrollary to the fundamental theorem of angle addition - and all of these cannot be discussed in the class. You are expected to prove these on your own.

However, if similar problems have not been discussed in the class - this will not be a good problem for test (excellent problem for homework though).

As a "thumb-rule" - whenever you are stuck in a tan-cot-sec-cosec mess, try to convert it to a sin-cos mess (sometimes messier) but most of the time you can fight through that.