Help!! Not sure what topic this is :( :( stuck

unicorn94

Hi guys!! I asked this on another forum but no one could help me, i'm not even sure what topic it is, i thought it might be ratios but no I am unsure :S would be so grateful for help!

A shop sells items sweets= £2.80, Choc = £2.10, sales totaled £595,700 and 30% of the customers bought chocolate, how many bought sweets?

I figured of course 70% bought sweets at £2.80 but I can’t think how to translate the number of sales to the amount received, very confused

obviously it isn't 70% of £595 as it only says that's the amount, not the number of customers

so total sales come to £595,700
30 % of people bought item for £2.10
70 % of people bought item for £2.80
I Need to find how many people bought items all together then do 70% of that to find the number buying chocolate
Hope someone might be able to help! :D

Hi, I would also like to say I did read the 'before posting thread' material, I am not sure what topic it is, A friend was doing a mock entry test for a job and this was the question and she asked me if I could figure it out, it has annoyed me ever since. Also the original question is a lot longer, this is what I have got it down to and I do not understand it, I have tried a lot of things including ratios but I am not sure what the topic is.
Sorry for not clarifying

A shop sells items sweets= £2.80, Choc = £2.10, sales totaled £595,700 and 30% of the customers bought chocolate, how many bought sweets?

I figured of course 70% bought sweets at £2.80 but I can’t think how to translate the number of sales to the amount received, very confused
so total sales come to £595,700
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{595700\cdot 0.7}{2.8}\)

I fail to understand pka's answer, a failure which scares me to death because he REALLY knows math and I do not.
In that case why would you go on to show what you don't understand?
\(\displaystyle (0.7)(595700)\) is the amount spent on sweets.
Each sweet cost \(\displaystyle 2.8\) (whatever units).
So how many were bought?

In that case why would you go on to show what you don't understand?

I second this! How many total times has it been posted on any of these threads
that I have read something to the effect "I really don't know math..."

These types of comments can reasonably be interpreted as insincerity,
disingenuousness, and/or false humility.

Prescription for this ailment: Don't post any of these types of comments anymore.

Hello,
thank you so much for your help JeffM! I understand it now, I didn't realise it would be such a lengthy process to answer! Thank you it has really helped!!
Thanks PKA too, sorry if I did not put the question well enough! Also you are both amazing at maths! :p