help please

lilkrazyrae

the hemispherical bowl of radius 5 contains water to a depth 3. Find the volume of water in the bowl.

Please help me!

You have x²+y²=5² and
Volume of a disk = pi*r²*h =
pi*x²*dy
Let us know how far you get playing with those facts.
Hint: it is easier if you turn the bowl upside down.

I think the problem ambiguous. How is it oriented?

Not ambiguous. The bowl is realy right side up but I think the math is friendlier by thinking of it upside down and finding the volume from 2 to 5. Just a matter of opinion. The answer is the same.
-------------------
Gene

I agree that's the most common interpretation, but we don't actually KNOW that. Maybe the closed part is the cut at the equator and it has a hole in the rounded part at the top. There are other possible orientations. I think the problem statement should tell us.

nope

Sorry the problem contains no more information than what I already stated and when I worked it I could not get the information to work out to give me the right answer. I used the equation x^2 +y^2=25 and intregrated it but I could get no farther than that. Please provide more help.

Re: nope

lilkrazyrae said:
Sorry the problem contains no more information than what I already stated and when I worked it I could not get the information to work out to give me the right answer. I used the equation x^2 +y^2=25 and intregrated it but I could get no farther than that. Please provide more help.
I would be surprised if you used that equatino directly. What EXACTLY did you do?

If you use Gene's inverted bowl, your limits of integration are not [0,5] or [0,3]. They should be [2,5]. You tell me why that is.