Help Solving Diff-Eq containing Ln

sauerj

Does the following Diff-EQ formula have a solution? If so, what is it?
dT/dt = Ln[((C1+rt)/C1)(a/k)] - T/k
(where C1, r, a, k are constants, and
T and t are variables)

The formula is derived by algebraically re-arranging the following 3 formulas:
1) dT/dt = (Te - T)/k
2) Te = Ln[(C2/C1)^a]
3) C2 = C1 + rt

Any help is appreciated! ... Thank you, sauerj

Does the following Diff-EQ formula have a solution? If so, what is it?
dT/dt = Ln[((C1+rt)/C1)(a/k)] - T/k
(where C1, r, a, k are constants, and
T and t are variables)

The formula is derived by algebraically re-arranging the following 3 formulas:
1) dT/dt = (Te - T)/k
2) Te = Ln[(C2/C1)^a]
3) C2 = C1 + rt

Any help is appreciated! ... Thank you, sauerj
Usually in this formula Te is constant. It is also possible that at t=0 there is a step change of Te, and you are asked for the time variation of T in response to the change in Te. So the diff.eq. to solve is just eq. (1), which is separable:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \dfrac{dT}{T_e - T} = \dfrac{dt}{k}\)

If I had to track the temperature change in response to a varying environment, I would probably resort to numerical methods (Runge-Kutta integration).

If r/C1 is very small, then ln(1+x)~x, and Te ~ (a r/C1)t is approximately linear. Is that special case worth pursuing?

The equation \(\displaystyle \dfrac{dT}{dt}= Ln[((C1+ rt)/C1)^{a/k}]-\dfrac{1}{k}T\) can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle \dfrac{dT}{dt}+ \dfrac{1}{k}T= Ln[((C1+ rt)/C1)^{a/k}]= (a/k) Ln(C1+ rt)- (a/r)Ln(C1)\).

An "integrating factor" for a linear differential equation is function of u such that multiplying by it makes the left side, \(\displaystyle u(t)\dfrac{dT}{dt}+ \dfrac{u(t)}{k}T\) an "exact differential": \(\displaystyle \dfrac{d(u(t)T}{dt}= u(t)\dfrac{dT}{dt}+ \dfrac{u(t)}{k}T\)

The derivative \(\displaystyle \dfrac{du(t)T}{dt}\) is, by the product rule, \(\displaystyle u(t)\dfrac{dT}{dt}+ \dfrac{du}{dt}T\) and we want that equal to \(\displaystyle u(t)\dfrac{dt}{dt}+ \dfrac{u(t)}{k}T\). The first terms, involving \(\displaystyle \dfrac{dT}{dt}\) cancel so we must have \(\displaystyle \dfrac{du}{dt}= \dfrac{u}{k}\). We can integrate that to get \(\displaystyle u(t)= e^{t/k}\) (in general times a constant but we only need a single solution so can take the constant to be 1.)

Multiplying both sides of the equation by \(\displaystyle e^{t/k}\), we have \(\displaystyle e^{t/k}\dfrac{dT}{dt}+ \dfrac{1}{k}e^{t/k}T= \dfrac{d(e^{t/k}T}{dt}= \frac{a}{k}e^{t/k}Ln(C1+ rt)- \frac{a}{k}Ln(C1)\) and we can "simply" integrate on both sides:
\(\displaystyle e^{t/k}T(t)= \frac{a}{k}\int( e^{t/k}Ln((C1+ rt)/C1)dt\).

I put "simply" in quotes because functions of the form "\(\displaystyle e^t ln(t)\)" cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions. You will have to use some numerical integration which will be similar to DrPhil's suggestion of a numerical differential equation solver such as "Runge-Kutta".

Last edited:
Solved!

Guys, Sorry for delay in response. Initial email prompts went to SPAM; didn't know about these until checking SPAM list today. ... Thanks for response and clarification on answer (re: H-Ivy). ... I'll try to research and develop an "R-K" computer solution (though this is probably beyond my abilities). This would seem like a possible "fun" math student project (with some practical applicaiton to the real world).
Dr. Phil: Very perceptive of you to see that this was a Temp function (and environmentally related as well). I was trying to develop a "simple" formula to project temps as function of time (projecting 50, 100 & 150 years, etc) based on temp rising ~3C for every doubling of CO2 (a = 3.0/ln(2)) and that CO2 is currently climbing at an approximate rate of r=2.2ppm/yr (~396ppm now) ... (foresee no decline forthcoming for many years to come on that front), and that the 1st-order time constant (in approaching equilibrium) is about k=50 years (1.0 - exp(-1)). There are certainly thousands of other real-world variables (but CO2 concentration is a dominant player). I thought this would be an interesting math experiment for general personal reference, but apparently even this attempt at simple is not so "simple".
Thanks again for your time & talents. ... Regards, Joe Sauer.

Last edited:
Solved ... with FOLLOW-UP!

Hello, I have progressed and found a workable solution.
1) Following HallsofIvy's help, I scoured the internet looking for further assistance on integrating \(\displaystyle \int \exp(x) \ \ln(x) \, dx \).
2) I found the following LINKED German forum site, uploading it with the German translated into English. The discussion here centered on a student trying to get his work (on integrating the above) to match his teacher's; the teacher's solution was also given.
3) In this thread's discussion, DrDirectX, recommended searching for keyword: Integral Exponential Function. And, Dr_Sonnhard_Graubner, mentioned going to the site "wolfram".
4) Then, with the help of yet another forum site (can't recall it), which also suggested the wolfram site, I ended up at http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp. What an amazing site!!! I am sure you guys are aware of this site. NOTE: For anyone needing quick solutions on integrals, this site is very helpful.
5) This site gave the solution for \(\displaystyle \int \exp(x) \ \ln(x) \, dx \text{ ... as } = \exp(x) \ \ln(x) - E_i(x) \text{ where … } E_i(x) \text{ is the Exponential Integral Func}\). ... I had to read up on \(\displaystyle E_i(x)\), which was new to me. There are plenty of internet resources to help on that.
6) Then, I re-checked the wolfram site for the solution to the more specific: \(\displaystyle \int \exp(x/k) \ \ln(1 + bx) \, dx \text{ where … } b = r/C_1 \). Amazingly, it provided one!
7) The wolfram.com solution for this is as follows: (using the above specific formula constants) ...
... Solution to \(\displaystyle \int \exp(t/k) \ \ln(1 + bt) \, dt = k \exp(t/k) \ \ln(\dfrac{C_2}{C_1}) - k \exp(\dfrac{-C_1}{rk}) \Big[ E_i(C_2/rk) - E_i(C_1/rk) \Big] \text{ where … }C_2 = C_1 + rt\)
... NOTE: This solution includes the constant term (@ t=0) which is ... \(\displaystyle = k \exp(\dfrac{-C_1}{rk}) \ E_i(C_1/rk)\)
8) Combining this integral solution with the rest of the equation, results in: ... Note: The stuff inside the \(\displaystyle \Big\{ \ \Big\}\) is the integral solution.
... \(\displaystyle \exp(t/k) \ T = (a/k) \left\{ k \exp(t/k) \ \ln(\dfrac{C_2}{C_1}) - k \exp(\dfrac{-C_1}{rk}) \Big[ E_i(C_2/rk) - E_i(C_1/rk) \Big] \right\}\)
9) Further simplifying results in the final equation: \(\displaystyle T = a \left\{\ln(\dfrac{C_2}{C_1}) - \dfrac{\left[\ln(\dfrac{C_2}{C_1})\ + \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left(\dfrac{(C_2/rk)^n - (C_1/rk)^n}{n \ n!} \right)\right]}{\exp(\dfrac{C_2}{rk})}\right\} \)
... Here, the \(\displaystyle E_i(x) \text{ terms}\) have been reduced to their most basic series expressions. This equation can be used in an Excel worksheet using array functions (i.e. SumProduct(array(1), array(2), etc)) to solve for the series solutions. Executing the SERIES functions from n=1 to n=12 yields plenty of resolution to the final answer. Variable definitions are as follows: ...
\(\displaystyle a = 3.0 \text{ deg-C} / \ln(2)\)
\(\displaystyle k = 50 \text{ years}\)
\(\displaystyle r = 2.2 \text{ ppm/yr ... Note: This was lower prior to 2000. A more advanced approach would account for a changing input here.}\)
\(\displaystyle C_1 = 310 \text{ ppm in 1955,}\)
\(\displaystyle t = \text{ # years since in 1955, and}\)
\(\displaystyle C_2 = \text{ ppm in desired year} = C_1 + r t \text{ , and}\)
\(\displaystyle T = \text{ temperature for the desired year}\)

LINKED HERE is an Excel worksheet (ver2010) that contains the final results. It uses both this model formula (see Temp2) plus a different, simpler one (Temp1) that actually gives better results. The calculated results are very interesting. ... Thanks for the help, sauerj

Last edited: