Help? Triangle

FE705

I don’t understand this question?? Can someone please help?

In the right-angled triangle ABC, the sides are 6 cm, 8 cm and 10 cm. AD is perpendicular to BC. How long is the side AB?

Attachments

• BFD9DEEA-6791-4ADA-B50B-0FE68CE41DA0.jpeg
    BFD9DEEA-6791-4ADA-B50B-0FE68CE41DA0.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 8

In the right-angled triangle ABC, the sides are 6 cm, 8 cm and 10 cm. AD is perpendicular to BC. How long is the side AB?
In the triangle ABC, the nomenclature of the sides would be AB, BC & CD. Among those - which one is the hypotenuse?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Are you saying you don't understand the question itself, or how to answer it?

1639969243741.png

The question is, indeed, unclear. In the absence of the picture, we would not have been told which angle in ABC is the right angle, though we could figure that out from the fact that AD is not one of the legs, and so we can tell which side is the hypotenuse. But we still couldn't determine which of the legs is which, so the question couldn't be answered.

With the picture, we can still answer the question only if we assume that it is accurate (which you are usually cautioned not to do), in which case we can easily assign lengths to the sides AB, BC, and CA. In that case, the problem is easy to answer. But it's not a well written question! (Are there more parts, so that the fact about AD is useful?)