Help with Kruskal Wallis Test and Post-hoc Dunn's Test

Iodine123

Hi everyone,

I am currently helping out with a clinical research project which involves comparing heart rates between different groups. There are 4 groups which I have separated according to the type of treatment the patients received. The heart rate data is non-parametric according to the Shapiro-Wilk test.

I first carried out a Kruskal-Wallis test which showed a statistically significant difference in heart rate between the 4 groups. However, I would like to know whether there is a statistically significant difference between individual groups (e.g. group 1 vs group 3/ group 2 vs group 3). I checked around online and some people recommended a Dunn's test. Is this the right approach? If so, should I use an unadjusted or adjusted Dunn's test? Are there any alternatives with more advantages?

Not sure if these will help but here are the median heart rates for each group:
Group 1: 65 (n=126)
Group 2: 70 (n=148)
Group 3: 76 (n=58)
Group 4: 73 (n=86)

The main aspect I would like to find out is whether group 1 vs group 3 is significant and whether group 2 vs group 3 is significant.

I am using STATA software and these are the results (attached) when I use an unadjusted Dunn's test.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• Kruskal Wallis.PNG
    Kruskal Wallis.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Dunn's test.PNG
    Dunn's test.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 1