Help with Math Homework PLS

Bry111

The average size for the first five units was 20. The average size for the next thirteen units was 77. What is the overall average size?

If anyone can help with this that would be awesome! Thanks you guys!

This sounds like only part of a problem. Please state the entire problem, and also tell us what you have tried so we can see what help you need.

If you need a hint, it might be useful to find the sum of the sizes for each set of units mentioned. How is that related to the average?

This sounds like only part of a problem. Please state the entire problem, and also tell us what you have tried so we can see what help you need.

If you need a hint, it might be useful to find the sum of the sizes for each set of units mentioned. How is that related to the average?

Hi thanks for the help! Actually, that's the entire question. I was able to figure it out already but thanks anyways!!!! :) I needed to do ((5*20)+ (13*77))/18 to get the overall average size. :)

Do you know what "average" means? You are told that the "average size for the first five units was 20". So what was the total size of those 5 units? You are told that the "average size for the next thirteen units was 77". So what was the total size of those thirteen units. What was the total size of all 18 units? What was the average size of the 18 units?

Hi thanks for the help! Actually, that's the entire question. I was able to figure it out already but thanks anyways!!!! :) I needed to do ((5*20)+ (13*77))/18 to get the overall average size. :)
Good work, and just where my hint was meant to take you.

One thing that bothered me in the problem is that it only mentions "the first five" and "the next thirteen", but never says that's all there are. But the main thing was that "units" are referred to without ever being defined -- units of what? It's like a story that begins without introducing the characters or setting, and makes you figure it out gradually. (I don't like solving problems with no context at all, because in real life that might mean I'm lacking useful information.)