Help with Quadratic formula word problem

Figure_skater123

My question is:
If Terry had hiked 0.5km/h faster he would have taken 1 hour less to complete a 15km hike. How fast was he hiking in the first place?

I think I have to use the Quadratic formula, to solve the question, but i don't even know where to start.

Hello, Figure_skater123!

You're right . . . We get a quadratic equation.

If Terry had hiked 0.5km/h faster he would have taken 1 hour less to complete a 15km hike.
How fast was he hiking in the first place?
We will use: \(\displaystyle \,\text{Distance }=\text{ Speed }\times\text{ Time}\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;\text{Time }=\:\frac{\text{Distance}}{\text{Speed}}\)

Let \(\displaystyle x\) = Terry's original speed.

He hiked 15 km at \(\displaystyle x\)km/hr. \(\displaystyle \;\)His time was: \(\displaystyle \,\frac{15}{x}\) hours.
If he hiked 15 km at \(\displaystyle x\,+\,0.5\) km/hr, his time would be: \(\displaystyle \,\frac{15}{x\,+\,0.5}\) hours.

This time is one hour less than his actual time: \(\displaystyle \,\frac{15}{x\,+\,0.5}\;=\;\L\frac{15}{x}\,-\,1\)

Multiply through by the LCD, \(\displaystyle x(x\,+\,0.5):\;\;x(x\,+\,0.5)\cdot\left[\frac{15}{x\,+\,0.5}\:=\:\frac{15}{x}\,-\,1\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)and we get: \(\displaystyle \,15(x\,+\,0.5)\,-\,x(x\,+\,0.5)\;=\;15x\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\) which simplifies to: \(\displaystyle \,x^2\,+\,0.5x\,-\,7.5\;=\;0\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\)which factors: \(\displaystyle \,(x\,-\,2.5)(x\,+\,3)\;=\;0\)

\(\displaystyle \;\;\) and has roots: \(\displaystyle \,x\,=\,2.5,\:-3\)

Since he did not hike backwards, his speed was: \(\displaystyle \,2.5\) km/hr.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Check

He hiked 15 km at 2.5 km/hr . . . It took him: \(\displaystyle \,\frac{15}{2.5}\,=\,6\) hours.

If he had hiked at \(\displaystyle 2.5\,+\,0.5\:=\:3\) km/hr, it would take him: \(\displaystyle \frac{15}{3}\,=\,5\) hours.

One hour less . . . check!

Have you TRIED, starting with speed = distance / time?

speed = x, time = t

x = 15 / t [1]
x + 1/2 = 15 / (t - 1) [2]

[1]: 15 = xt
[2]: 15 = (x + 1/2)(t - 1)

Carry on; you will get a quadratic.

Hello, again. Thank you for your help. I sort of forgot I posted this, thats why it has taken me so long to reply.