help with right angle problem

kaherelzonoj

point M is midpoint of leg AC in right triangle ABC , find the area of the triangle if the distance between M and hypothenuse AB is 4, and distance between M and the midpoint of AB is 5

TANGLE.PNG

Thanks

Last edited:
Oops you forgot to post the labelled diagram you made along with the work you have done. Without this we have no idea where you are stuck. So please follow the forum guidelines (you did read them, correct?) and post back your diagram and work. Thanks!

point M is midpoint of leg AC in right triangle ABC , find the area of the triangle if the distance between M and hypothenuse AB is 4, and distance between M and the midpoint of AB is 5

View attachment 17486

Thanks
You didn't show the distance between M and the hypotenuse (perpendicular to the latter). Also, your drawing suggests that you are not thinking about some key facts about the figure, which would make it more accurate.

I would look for similar triangles (or use some theorems you might know that can be proved by similar triangles). You should be able to find BC quickly, and then AC.

Please update your triangle with information that was part of the problem. Dr Peterson stated what that was.

You didn't show the distance between M and the hypotenuse (perpendicular to the latter). Also, your drawing suggests that you are not thinking about some key facts about the figure, which would make it more accurate.

I would look for similar triangles (or use some theorems you might know that can be proved by similar triangles). You should be able to find BC quickly, and then AC.

geogebra-export.png

this is the diagram I could come up with

You're still missing the perpendicular from M to AB, corresponding to the statement that "the distance between M and hypotenuse AB is 4". That's where you'll get another similar triangle.

You're still missing the perpendicular from M to AB, corresponding to the statement that "the distance between M and hypotenuse AB is 4". That's where you'll get another similar triangle.
yes exactly , that's where I'm having a problem ..... I wasn't able to draw the line between M and AB

All you had to do is ask what perpendicular meant. Math always have new vocabulary words, so someone who speaks English well may not know what perpendicular means, especially if they never studies geometry.

We are here to help you and if you do not understand something, whether it is a math concept or an English word, then please ask. OK?