Help with rules of exponents

Mortzy

( I don't know how to put in exponents so I used ^ to represent it) I was given an equation ((2^2)^w)^3=(2^5)^(w-1) and using exponent rules I am supposed to get 2^(6w)=2^(5w-5).
I can't figure out how they did it and what rules I should learn or techniques to study to make that simplification. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
( I don't know how to put in exponents so I used ^ to represent it) I was given an equation ((2^2)^w)^3=(2^5)^(w-1) and using exponent rules I am supposed to get 2^(6w)=2^(5w-5).
I can't figure out how they did it and what rules I should learn or techniques to study to make that simplification. Thank you!
You need to use:

\(\displaystyle (a^b)^c = a^{(b * c)}\)...................................... We use '*' to signify multiplication"

Notice that I corrected your original post and inserted parentheses (). Those are very important to show order of operations.

Consider (3^2)^3. Now just use definitions! (3^2)^3 means (3^2)*(3^2)*(3^2) which means (3*3)*(3*3)*(3*3) which means (3*3*3*3*3*3) which means 3^6. Look carefully at what I wrote and see for yourself how the power came to be 6. If you don't see why, then try a few more similar ones. You have to see it yourself, us telling you will what to do with the powers will not help very much.

The first three powers are 2, w and 3. How do you get 6w from them? The next two powers are 5 and (w-1). How do you get 5w-5 from them?