-7x + 3y = 3

just starting back to this and I need steps which guide

Thanks,

NancyMathWiz(hoping to become)

A*x + B*y = C

B*y = C - A*x

y = (C - A*x)/B

Needing help with the steps

When solving for y, we need to first isolate the term containing the y (i.e., get the y-term all by itself, on the left-hand side of the equation). In your equation, the term containing the y is 3y.

(The y-term is B*y, in Subhotosh's abstraction; he's using symbol B to represent any number that could be in front of y.)

Note that Subhotosh isolated the B*y term, by subtracting the other term (A*x) from each side of the equation. That step isolated B*y on the left-hand side of the equation.

So, step one is to isolate the term which contains the variable that you're trying to solve for. You've got that -7x term to get rid of, in order to isolate the 3y. Can you guess how to do that?

Subhotosh then solved for y, in his second step, by dividing both sides of the equation by B (the coefficient that's multiplying y). In your equation, the coefficient on y is 3.

Step two is to divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient in front of the variable that you're trying to solve for because that operation leaves y all by itself on the left-hand side (the Bs cancel).

Please show your work, if you would like more help solving for y.

Cheers