Help with system of equations: using profits

notgoodatmath_

I've been having a difficult time with system of equations I was wondering if I could have some assistants with system of equations. Here's the question

Question: Keller industries' profits were up $20,000 this year over last year. This was an increase of 25%.

a. Let T represent the profit this year and L the profit from last year and write a system of equations that can be used to determine the profits.
b. Which method would be most efficient to solve this system (addition method or substitution method)? Explain
c.Using your system to determine the profit for this year and last year.

Two pieces of information are given:
[FONT=MathJax_Main]∙ This year's profit is [FONT=MathJax_Main]$[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]20000[/FONT] more than last year's profit.
[FONT=MathJax_Main]∙[/FONT] The increase is [FONT=MathJax_Main]25[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]%[/FONT].[/FONT]

You should write both in equation form. Then you get a system of two equations with two variables, which you can solve.

But how do i write the equations?

I have a few thoughts.

I've been having a difficult time with system of equations I was wondering if I could have some assistants with system of equations. Here's the question

Question: Keller industries' profits were up $20,000 this year over last year. This was an increase of 25%.

a. Let T represent the profit this year and L the profit from last year and write a system of equations that can be used to determine the profits.
b. Which method would be most efficient to solve this system (addition method or substitution method)? Explain

Two pieces of information are given:
[FONT=MathJax_Main]∙ This year's profit is [FONT=MathJax_Main]$[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]20000[/FONT] more than last year's profit. [/FONT]← T = L + 20000 ..... now continue.....
[FONT=MathJax_Main]∙
The increase is [FONT=MathJax_Main]25[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]%[/FONT].[/FONT]

You should write both in equation form. Then you get a system of two equations with two variables, which you can solve.

I have a few thoughts.
Please share your work with us .

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

To learn how to translate the English into algebra, try here. To learn how to work with "percent of" word problems, try here. To learn how to solve systems of linear equations, try here.

I have a few thoughts.
Great! Please reply with a clear listing of what these "thoughts" are, so we can better see where you're getting stuck. Thank you! ;)