Help with this diagram

Pingu27

It's been a long time since I've done this sort of maths and I'm trying to help my cousin, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the method of figuring this out!

Attachments

• IMG-20200331-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200331-WA0002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 5
It's been a long time since I've done this sort of maths and I'm trying to help my cousin, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the method of figuring this out!
There is very little help I can give except to give you some definitions.

The curve represented here is a catenary (See the pink panel on the left.), not a parabola as many might think. The equation of the curve (with an origin at the midpoint of the curve (where the 20 m measurement is taken from) is the equation [math]y = a ~ cosh \left ( \dfrac{x}{a} \right )[/math].

You can look up the rest but it's a bit of a slog. I hate to just post it but there's really no other way.
[math]d = \left ( \dfrac{L^2 - h^2}{2 h} \right ) ~ sinh^{-1} \left ( \dfrac{2hL}{L^2 - h^2} \right )[/math]where d is half the width of what you are looking for, h is the distance from 20 m above the ground to a height of 50 m (ie. h = 30 m), and L is the half the length along the wire (L = 40 m.)

This will be easy or hard to calculate depending on how comfortable you are with your calculator. That [math]sinh^{-1}(.)[/math] might be a bit to work with if you don't have a programmable calculator. If you run into problems with this, just let us know.

-Dan