Help with this equation

liamlamont

Can someone please solve this for me and show me step by step?

Attachments

• need help.PNG
    need help.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 15
Sorry, but no one here will solve this problem for you. What we like to do on this forum is to give hints to help you solve the problem.

Note that in 10/2 = 5 we have 2*5 =10. Match up the numbers! In 12/4 = 3, we have 4*3 =12. In 24/8 = 3, we have 8*3 = 24. In a/b = c we have b*c = a.

Can you please rewrite the given division problem as a multiplication problem as I have shown above.

Please post back with your work. Also, welcome to the forum!!

If you’re still stuck here are some guiding steps:

(200P - 5000) ÷ 200P = 0.30

Let 200P = ∇

We have (∇ - 5000) ÷ ∇ = 0.30

To work out what to do next think of a simple sum like 6 ÷ 3 = 2

If we say 2 × 3 = 6 is going forwards then 6 ÷ 3 = 2 is going backwards (since ÷ is opposite operation to ×)

Can you write (∇ - 5000) ÷ ∇ = 0.30 going forwards?

0.30 × ∇ = ?

See if you can simplify and solve for ∇.

If 200P = ∇ what is the value of P?

\[\frac{200P - 5000}{200P} = 0.3 \quad \text{when P ≤ 35.71}\]
Hello liamlamont. Did you post the complete exercise statement word-for-word? I'm asking because your image implies that the equation's solution is an inequality. That's not correct.

The equation has one solution only, and the solution is neither 35.71 nor any smaller number. Were you instructed to round the solution to two decimal places?

If we were given the following inequality, instead of an equation, then we could say: P≤35.71 rounded to two decimal places.

\[\frac{200P - 5000}{200P} ≤ 0.3\]

Without rounding, the solution is P ≤ \(\frac{250}{7}\).

If negative numbers are not allowed, then the solution is 0 ≤ P ≤ \(\frac{250}{7}\).

Therefore, your original post is confusing. If you were given any other information, please post it. Always include any work that you tried, even if you think it's wrong. (Your work may provide us clues about what you're actually trying to do.)

By the way, I simplified the posted equation before solving it:

1 - 25/P = 3/10

Again, the exact solution is P = 250/7

If you need help understanding either the simplification or how to get that solution, let us know.

?