Helps with Three Geometry Problems

Dark Knight 496

I have a problem with two Regents Math B problems:

1. At a ski resort, the beginner's slope is inclined at an angle of 12.3, while the advanced slope is inclined at an angle of 26.4. If Rudy skis 1000 meters down the advanced slope while Valerie skis the same distance on the beginner's slope, how much longer was the horizontal distance that Valerie covered (Answer choices: 81.3m, 231.6m, 895.7m, 977.0m)?

2. A regular hexagon is inscribed in a circle. What is the ratio of the length of a side of the hexagon to the minor arc that it intercepts? (the answer is in terms of P, answer choices: P/6, 3/6, 3/P, 6/P).

Thanks in advance.

1. horizontal distance = (hypotenuse length)(cosine of the elevation angle)

2. each side of a regular hexagon inscibed in a circle has side length = circle's radius. That (along with another basic circle formula you should know) provides you with all the necessary information for you to find the ratio ... btw, the value is pi, not P.

skeeter said:
1. horizontal distance = (hypotenuse length)(cosine of the elevation angle)

2. each side of a regular hexagon inscibed in a circle has side length = circle's radius. That (along with another basic circle formula you should know) provides you with all the necessary information for you to find the ratio ... btw, the value is pi, not P.

1. Could you draw a diagram of the problem for me, as it should be drawn? Without that I can't understand the problem. Thanks.
2. I got 3/pi. Is that correct?

1.I will check

*gets calculator

it would be (hypotnuse) times sin of 12.3 and 26.4

subtract second answer from first

you would get 231.6

understand it?

think of it as a triangle. (refer to my sine/cos/tan help)

SOHCAHTOA.jpg

2. I hope more info is provided since