Hi im new here i need help to understand a math problem here

alfabeti

Can someone explain me how the answer of this problem is 10. step by step ?

Luigi started a small restaurant. His friend Giacomo gave him some square tables and chairs. If he uses all the tables as single tables with 4 chairs each, he would need 6 more chairs. If he uses all the tables as double tables with 6 chairs each, he would have 4 chairs left over. How many tables did Luigu get from Giacomo?

Did you draw a sketch? Try creating a table? What are your thoughts on the problem?

Somebody will need to explain that a little better to me to understand it, it comes across more of a riddle than a mathematical problem to me at the moment. I don't profess to understand it but you only have 10 chairs to start with. There is no mention of how many tables there is and based on the number of chairs available, e.g. 10 and 4 chairs per table then it initially looks like 2.5 tables to me.

I've been wrong before though.

We expect you to figure some of the problem out yourself at this forum. I will get you started and then see if you can finish.
Let t = number of tables and c = number of chairs. The number of chairs in relation to tables is 4t since each table has 4 chairs. The third sentence becomes 4t = c + 6. See if you can write an equation for the fourth sentence. Then solve both equations for c. Set the two equations equal and solve for t.

if doubled table require 6tables ( remember the table are of equal lengths and breath therefore when tables are doubled each tables would have equal no
2p=6
P=3, so for second aspect 3 will be used per table
Let y rep total no of chairs and x rep no of tables
Y=4x-6-------eqn 1
Y= 3x+4-----eqn2
Equate both value of Y and get your answer for x as you said previously 10 tables

Luigi started a small restaurant. His friend Giacomo gave him some square tables and chairs. If he uses all the tables as single tables with 4 chairs each, he would need 6 more chairs. If he uses all the tables as double tables with 6 chairs each, he would have 4 chairs left over. How many tables did Luigu get from Giacomo?
Prof has given you a good start. (You might prefer a different way to solve the system of equations, and you may not be familiar with solving equations with two variables, so you may have more questions.)

I'm going to interpret your question differently (probably not the way you intended!), and show you how to check that the answer is in fact 10 (which is not the way to solve it, but can often help in understanding what the problem means).

Suppose there are 10 tables. Putting 4 chairs at each table requires 4*10 = 40 chairs. Since this is 6 more chairs than he has, he must have 40 - 6 = 34 chairs.

Now suppose we put pairs of table together ("double tables"), so that 6 chairs can fit around each pair. With 10 tables, there will be 5 pairs, and with 6 chairs around each of these, we need 5*6 = 30 chairs. So 4 of the 34 chairs are left over. That's exactly what the problem said, so this is the answer.

Now, you may find that this check provides you with a model for the second equation you need to write! At least, I hope it clarifies what the problem means by "double tables".

EDIT: I see you posted this same question twice. Please don't do that! (And anyone else who wants to respond should do it on that second, later, thread.

Last edited:

Luigi started a small restaurant. His friend Giacomo gave him some square tables and chairs.
Let n be the number of tables and m the number of chairs.

If he uses all the tables as single tables with 4 chairs each, he would need 6 more chairs.
So m= 4n- 6.

If he uses all the tables as double tables with 6 chairs each, he would have 4 chairs left over.
So m= 6(n/2)+ 4= 3n+ 4.

How many tables did Luigu get from Giacomo?
Since m is equal to both 4n- 6 and 3n+ 4 they must be equal. Can you solve 4n- 6= 3n+ 4?