homework help please (functions)

geek21

Hi i am a middle schooler going into High School. My high school has given me a math packet to work on. However, i have come aross a question that has kept my thinking. Can you help me figure out the answer.

Attachments

• WIN_20150628_155033.JPG
    WIN_20150628_155033.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WIN_20150628_155051.JPG
    WIN_20150628_155051.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 2
I need help on this homework assignment. I am in the 8th grade. Plzzzz any help?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• WIN_20150628_155051.JPG
    WIN_20150628_155051.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 20
  • WIN_20150628_155033.JPG
    WIN_20150628_155033.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi i am a middle schooler going into High School. My high school has given me a math packet to work on. However, i have come aross a question that has kept my thinking. Can you help me figure out the answer.

First of all, everyone here who helps answer questions is a volunteer. That means you may not get you question answered within the hour or even within several hours. Next, people here are much more likely to try to help someone who helps themselves. This means you need to tell us your thoughts and what you have done so far? Also, show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You should also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting
before posting. The link is prominent.

Can you see any kind of pattern is the following four numbers 0, 1, 4, 9? Is there a relationship between those numbers and the number of white squares in the four patterns?

Still don't get it...

I am sorry. I do not see any pattern with the numbers 0,1,4,9 nor do i see a pattern with those numbers and the numbers of white tiles in all four patterns. I tried to figure out the function for the patterns by looking for any relationship between the number of black tiles and the number of white tiles. However, I am still stumped.

I am sorry. I do not see any pattern with the numbers 0,1,4,9 nor do i see a pattern with those numbers and the numbers of white tiles in all four patterns. I tried to figure out the function for the patterns by looking for any relationship between the number of black tiles and the number of white tiles. However, I am still stumped.

How many white tiles are in pattern #1? .............. 0

How many white tiles are in pattern #2? .............. 1

How many white tiles are in pattern #3? .............. 4

How many white tiles are in pattern #4? .............. 9

i see what you are saying, but there is not constant difference to put in the formula for the function.

i see what you are saying, but there is not constant difference to put in the formula for the function.
So think about other types of patterns. Rather than the numbers relating to each other, might they relate to their counters? Or might they follow some pattern with multiplication ("for n = k, the value is 3k"), powers ("for n = k, the value is k^3"), or something else ("for n = k, the value is (k + 1)!")?

For other advice on finding the pattern and thus the next number in a sequence, try here. ;)

TTHHHAAANKKK YOOUU SOOO MUCH FOR UR HELP!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!! THE ANSWER IS Y=n^2

TTHHHAAANKKK YOOUU SOOO MUCH FOR UR HELP!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!! THE ANSWER IS Y=n^2
Really? When n = 1, n2 = 1, not zero. When n = 2, n2 = 4, not 1. When n = 3, n2 = 9, not 4. And so forth.

Make sure your pattern isn't just similar. Make sure it matches! You may need to do some slight adjustments in order to get the counter (n) and the pattern to match up correctly. ;)