Homework help!

nicolel604

I have a question that I get a different answer everytime too, and none is correct in the answer book!?
the question is:
the recipe called for 3 1/2 cups of flour. he could make only 3 3/4 recipes. How much flour did he have?

thanks for the help!

nicolel604 said:
I have a question that I get a different answer everytime too, and none is correct in the answer book!?
the question is:
the recipe called for 3 1/2 cups of flour. he could make only 3 3/4 recipes. How much flour did he have?

thanks for the help!

You need to multiply the two fractions 3 1/2 and 3 3/4.

It's best to convert each fraction to 'improper form' first - like so...

*** how many halves in 3 1/2 ?
* 3 is six halves,
* 1/2 is one half.
* Therefore, 3 1/2 is seven halves.

*** how many quarters in 3 3/4 ?
* 3 is twelve quarters (can you see why?)
* 3/4 is three quarters,
* Therefore, 3 3/4 is fifteen quarters...

Then, to multiply 3 1/2 by 3 3/4, you multiply 7/2 by 15/4.

Do you know how to do that?

It will be an improper fraction again, so you may need to convert this answer back to a mixed fraction.

Eg, to convert 80/7 to a mixed fraction, I do :
* 80 divided by 7 is 11 remainder 3 (because 80 = 77+3)
* therefore,
\(\displaystyle \frac{80}{7} = \frac{77+3}{7} = \frac{77}{7} + \frac{3}{7} = 11 + \frac{3}{7} = 11\frac{3}{7}\)

thanks for the help! thats what i got too, at one point... the answer is in the key is 7 1/2 soo i guess they were way off!

11 3/7 is NOT the answer; it's the answer to an EXAMPLE Dr Mike did for you.

nicolel604 said:
thanks for the help! thats what i got too, at one point... the answer is in the key is 7 1/2 soo i guess they were way off!

Yes, 7 1/2 is definately wrong...

BUT if 7 1/2 is CORRECT, then you have posted the original problem with a few typo's!

Can you check what you posted: is it exactly the problem in the textbook?

\(\displaystyle If \ 3.5 \ cups \ of \ flour \ make \ 1 \ recipe, \ then \ how \ many \ cups \ of \ flour \ make \ 3.75 \ recipes?\)

\(\displaystyle Hence, \ 3.5 \ is \ to \ 1 \ as \ x \ (unknown) \ is \ to \ 3.75 \ or \ \frac{3.5}{1} \ = \ \frac{x}{3.75}.\)

\(\displaystyle Ergo, \ x \ = \ (3.5)(3.75) \ = \ 13.125 \ cups \ of \ flour.\)

My 2nd grader is having problems understanding regrouping and honestly I can't figure it out either lol learned the old fashioned way to add and subtract....but they want this regrouping how can I make it easier for him to understand if I can't understand. Thanks for any help anyone may have...

Please start your own thread (use "NEWTOPIC" button), and post an actual problem.

Denis said:
Patricia, you've answered a thread that's over 1 year old.

Denis, patricia39 is a SPAMMER.

That post advertises a website that sells coursework and term papers on dozens of academic subjects.

I reported the SPAM.

Patti said:
The square root of 1/6 of a number is 8. What is the number?

You posted your exercise with no explanations or questions of your own. That number must be six times larger than the square of eight, but where are you stuck? Do you understand what they've asked?

You posted your exericse in somebody else's conversation; next time, please start your own thread by using the [NEWTOPIC] button on the board's index page.