Homogeneous Linear Differential Equation

engineertobe

I am given y(x)=ae^(6x) + bcos(3x)+ csin(3x) where a, b, and c are constants. I am then asked to convert it into the form y^(3)+ __y" + ___y'+ __y=0 solving for the constants. I don't know how to deal with the sin and cos. Any ideas?

I am given y(x)=ae^(6x) + bcos(3x)+ csin(3x) where a, b, and c are constants. I am then asked to convert it into the form y^(3)+ __y" + ___y'+ __y=0 solving for the constants. I don't know how to deal with the sin and cos. Any ideas?

As I understand it - it is pretty straight forward:

y' = (6)[ae6x] + (-3)[bsin(3x)] + (3)[c cos(3x)] ..... and so on...

Second order homegenoeous differential equations solutions can be found by examining polynominals, called auxiliary equations.

Second order homegenoeous differential equations solutions can be found by examining polynominals, called auxiliary equations.

s/he is not looking for solution to DE - the solution is given to the student and the student has to formulate the homogeneous DE.

Let y^(3)=0
Homogeneous equations solutions can be found by related polynomials, called auxiliary equations. In this case the auxiliary equation in my estimate is A^2+A+1=0 which illustrates the general pattern such as a recession from an economic viewpoint. This can be solved using the quadratic formula to get
A=d1=(-1+3^1/2*i)/2 and A=d2=(-1-3^1/2*i)/2. The theory of homogeneous equations then tells us that
y=e^d1*x and y=e^d2*x are solutions to the original equation, and the general solution is
y=Be^r1*x+Ce^r2*x (for any constants B and C).

I got an email pertaining to the DE. It seems you want to get back to the original equation. You've finished with the solution y(x)=ae^(6x) + bcos(3x)+ csin(3x). Differentiate both sides of the equation. For example, lets say I finished with the solution y(x)= x^3+4x^2-7x-sinx+c. When I differentiate both sides, I obtain dy/dx=3x^2+8x-7-cosx. Adding cosx to both sides produces the ODE I began with:dy/dx+cosx=3x^2+8x-7. I hope this helps.

I'm assuming this is an elementary second-order differential equation. We ended with the solution
y(x)=ae^(6x) + bcos(3x)+ csin(3x) where a, b, and c are constants. I'll be using the product and/or chain rule(s) to differentiate terms to get back to the second-order differential equation.

Differentiating both sides of the solution gives us
y'=dy/dx=6ae^(6x)-3bsin(3x)+3ccos(3x)
Differentiating both sides of the solution again yields
y"=d^2y/dx^2=36ae^(6x)-9bcos(3x)-9csin(3x)
The solution equation is y=ae^(6x) + bcos(3x)+ csin(3x)
Now plug y, y', and y" into y^(3)+_y"+_y'+_y=0, respectively. I'm not sure about what's going on with the value for y^(3).