How can I find the ratio between these two sides of a rectangle?

ericasong

Kabir divides a rectangle ABCD into eight non-overlapping squares as shown below. Find the ratio of AB to AD.

I started with the inner most square and called that side [MATH]a_1[/MATH]. Then the sides of the second biggest square I called [MATH]a_2[/MATH]. Then

[MATH]a_1+a_2=a_3[/MATH]
[MATH]a_1+a_3=a_4[/MATH]
[MATH]a_1+a_4=a_5[/MATH]
Just to clarify, [MATH]a_5[/MATH] is the top left square and [MATH]a_4[/MATH]is the top right square.

[MATH]a_5+a_1+a_3= DC[/MATH]
Since it's a rectangle, [MATH]AB=DC=a_5+a_3+a_1[/MATH]Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.24.16 AM.png

However here I don't know how to proceed or if I have been attempting this correctly.
[MATH] [/MATH]

Your work may very well be reasonable, but, if you want someone to follow your logic, I strongly suggest that you give a picture with the squares labelled

[MATH]A_1, \ A_2 \ ... A_7,\ A_8[/MATH]
As it is, you seem at first to be implying that your squares are labelled in ascending order by area.

If that is what you meant, it is false that

[MATH]a_1 + a_2 = a_3.[/MATH]
As I said, I suspect your approach or one similar will work, but please make it easier to follow.

Good start. You need to continue expressing larger segment lengths through smaller ones. If you know what a3 is in terms of smaller segments, then use smaller lengths in subsequent expressions. You should probably arrive at something like this: AB = 5a1, AD = 7a1 (just an example), which will allow you to determine the ratio.