How do I find the nth term of this sequence?

Raanikeri

1711574913972.png

Could it be some sort of geometric sequence? Or something involving binomial expansion?
There is no common difference at any level, it seems, so I don't think it's an arithmetic or quadratic sequence.

There is a pattern in the sequence, and I could easily predict what the next few terms will be (-6, 7, -8...), but I am stumped when it comes to finding the nth term.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
View attachment 37531

Could it be some sort of geometric sequence? Or something involving binomial expansion?
There is no common difference at any level, it seems, so I don't think it's an arithmetic or quadratic sequence.

There is a pattern in the sequence, and I could easily predict what the next few terms will be (-6, 7, -8...), but I am stumped when it comes to finding the nth term.

Can anyone help?
The nth term would be [imath](-1)^{n+1}n[/imath].

-Dan

If \(\displaystyle n\) is odd, then \(\displaystyle t_n = n\).

If \(\displaystyle n\) is even, then \(\displaystyle t_n = -n\).

To combine these statements, we need a way of producing +1 if n is odd and -1 if n is even.

One way of doing this is looking at odd/even powers of -1.

Note that (-1)^even is +1 and (-1)^odd is -1.

So, if n is odd, we need a coefficient of +1, so the index must be even. Note that (n+1) is even, since n is odd.

Similarly, if n is even, we need a coefficient of -1, so the index must be odd. Note that, in this case, (n+1) is odd, since n is even.

So, for both cases, \(\displaystyle t_n = (-1)^{n+1}n\) .

An index of \(\displaystyle (n-1), (n+3), (n+5)\) etc would also work, but let's keep it simple.