How do i know what to substitute for x?

mindynjun

Im taking an intermidiate algebra class and working on Ch 8: Systems of Equations i have to solve by graphing. for example, x + y= -3 and 4x - y= -2. Now, I solved for y on both equations which has an outcome of y = -3 - x and y = 2 + 4x. My problem now is that i have to make three ordered pairs for each equation so that I can Graph the problem just that i dont know what has to be used to substitute for x. Ive gone through my book i do see there are various ways but how do they come upon choosing those intergers. Im so confused please help.

mindynjun said:
Im taking an intermidiate algebra class and working on Ch 8: Systems of Equations i have to solve by graphing. for example, x + y= -3 and 4x - y= -2. Now, I solved for y on both equations which has an outcome of y = -3 - x and y = 2 + 4x. My problem now is that i have to make three ordered pairs for each equation so that I can Graph the problem just that i dont know what has to be used to substitute for x. Ive gone through my book i do see there are various ways but how do they come upon choosing those intergers. Im so confused please help.

You can pick any values you want for x...just remember that you have to graph the resulting points, so it might not be wise to pick 100 for x. There are no specific values that you HAVE to use for x.

0 is always an easy choice, so I'd include it as one of my values for x all the time. Then, you might want to pick one positive integer value for x and one negative integer value for x.

I hope this helps you.