How do i solve this integration question using the washer and shell method?

hello1114

What is the volume of a solid bounded by y = (x-2)^2 and y = 6 revolved around x = -3?
I tried the washer method and the shell method and got different answers each time and I'm really confused please help!

Last edited:
What did you try?
Your different answers? Do you believe one or the other? Is one negative?

What is the volume of a solid bounded by y = (x-2)^2 and y = 6 revolved around x = -3?
I tried the washer method and the shell method and got different answers each time and I'm really confused please help!
As you must know by the title of this forum, this is a help forum and not a homework service forum. We do not solve problems for students here. We prefer to help students solve their problem by giving them helpful hints.

If you share your work with us then we can see where you made your mistake(s). Possibly you just added wrong and after pointing that out you are fine.

Sloppy work if you have to take the absolute value of your answer. How did you get those limits for the integral from. They are actually close to the correct values but still wrong. Although your entire integral is not visible it seems that you are using the disc method. Now how did you compute the radius? I usually compute horizontal distances by doing the right end point - left end point. You did not do that. Retry and post back showing your work.