How does negative sign turn neg. integer from inside parenthesis to pos.? -(-10) - 1

Illvoices

Hello viewers and teachers and colleagues I've got a quick question to you all.
I wanted to know how'd does a negative sign turn a negative integer from the inside of a parenthesis to a positive.

-p-q= - (-10) - 1
=9

Which component is turning the negative 10 into a positive 10.

I wanted to know how'd does a negative sign turn a negative integer from the inside of a parenthesis to a positive.

-p-q= - (-10) - 1
=9

The negative sign in front of (-10) can be viewed as the additive inverse of (-10). That is, -(-10) is the number you add to -10 to get 0, which is 10. Therefore -(-10) = 10

Alternatively you can think of that - sign in front of (-10) as -1 and then we get -(-10) = (-1)(-10) = (-1)*(-10) = 10

You can also think of -(-10) as 0 - (-10) = 10

Last edited:

-p-q= - (-10) - 1
=9

A negative sign in front of a positive number turns that pos number into a neg number. EX: -(5) = -5. That is, the additive inverse of 5 is -5.

The negative sign in front of (-10) can be viewed as the additive inverse of (-10) … which is 10.
Something is not worded correctly.

I think you meant -(-10) can be viewed as the additive inverse of -10.

I like Jomo's alternate explanation.

The first negative sign in -(-10) can be viewed as a factor: -1

Writing -(-10) is an abbreviated form of (-1)(-10).

Also, the only negative sign in the expression x - (-10) appears inside the grouping symbols. The symbol between x and (-10) is not a negative sign; it's a subtraction operator. Beginning algebra tells us that subtraction is the same thing as "adding the opposite". 10 is the opposite of -10. Therefore, instead of subtracting -10, we can add 10.

x - (-10) is the same as x + 10

Understood comrades I think that you'll all have a clear view on what is what I'm talking about. Thank you for your cooperation and many wishes and posts to you all.