How domain and range changes when a function is transformed ...

babymathteacher

Hi all,

I am having trouble with the following question:

IMG_0755.png

I thought I was getting it: the vertical transformations would affect the range and the horizontal transformations would affect the domain. I got to c) and it was waaaay off so I am assuming my technique isn't useful in the long run. Could someone show me using c) how to find the "updated" domain and range?

Thank you in advance,
babymathteacher ◡̈

Hi all,

View attachment 35809

I thought I was getting it: the vertical transformations would affect the range and the horizontal transformations would affect the domain. I got to c) and it was waaaay off so I am assuming my technique isn't useful in the long run. Could someone show me using c) how to find the "updated" domain and range?
Please reply with a clear listing of the steps you took, the result you obtained, and the "correct" answer expected (which might itself be in error).

Thank you!

Eliz.

Hi,

Here was what I attempted:

IMG_0925.jpeg

Here is what the solutions say:

IMG_0926.jpeg

Here is what I found online when looking for an explanation but it doesn’t explain much:

IMG_0928.jpeg

Best,

babymathteacher

1684350819618.png

Please show the details here:

1684350507016.png

How did you get from [imath]x\ge-4[/imath] to [imath]x\le-3[/imath] by shifting one unit left? And why did you write "D+1"?

Your general ideas are all correct; you just have to carry them out carefully.

But their answers are not quite right, either; they changed [imath]\ge[/imath] to [imath]>[/imath]:
1684350945018.png

Hi all,

View attachment 35809

Thank you in advance,
babymathteacher ◡̈
Not sure about horizontal and vertical transformations, but if [imath]f(x)[/imath] is defined for [imath]x \geq -4[/imath] then [imath]f(x+1)[/imath] is defined for [imath]x+1 > -4[/imath].