how long will it take to pump the water out of the basement?

You're right. 16 inches is not 1.4 ft
it is better to divide 16 ÷12= 1.33
1.33 ft
you said it looked until the inches to feet conversion. i rectified that so i start right from there.
Add the two areas now
1120+352=1472 ft^2
16in / 12 ft=1.33 ( repeating)
now
1472 ft^2 * 1.33ft
=1957
that is the volume. 1957ft^3
1957ft^3 can hold 14639.38 gallons of water
to pump all these gallons of water out I have two pumps pumping out 50 gallons each every minute.
now, i will divide the amount of gallons of water by 50 gpm=292.7876 (293 to round it out)
one pump will take 293 minutes to pump all that water= 4.888 ( 5 hours rounding it out)
so, with two pumps working that will be reduced to roughly 2.5 hours.
that is the time it will take for the two pumps to get all the water out of the basement.
please, confirm it.
and thank you for staying with me!. last night i saw your reply but i was already in bed.
thanks.

Last edited:
you said it looked until the inches to feet conversion. i rectified that so i start right from there.
Add the two areas now
1120+352=1472 ft^2
now
1472 ft^2 * 1.33ft
=1957
to pump all these gallons of water out I have two pumps pumping out 50 gallons each every minute.
now, i will divide the amount of gallons of water by 50 gpm=292.7876 (293 to round it out)
one pump will take 293 minutes to pump all that water= 4.888 ( 5 hours rounding it out)
that is the time it will take for the two pumps to get all the water out of the basement.
please, confirm it.
and thank you for staying with me!. last night i saw your reply but i was already in bed.
thanks.
and please, let me know how o get familair with your approach. the top down approach. do you have a video explaining the basics?. pls, let me know

Add the two areas now
1120+352=1472 ft^2
now
1472 ft^2 * 1.33ft
=1957
please, confirm it.
thanks.
Looks good.
To summarize:
the question is about time, therefore, we write down the relationship that answers it: Time = (task size)/rate. This is the top level relationship.
Now, "going down" we fill in missing details. We have the rate. Task size is the volume of water, which we don't have yet.
Volume = box1 + box2
Volume = length*width*height
Calculate, convert to gallons. Plug into the top formula, done.

Note, as soon as you write down the top formula you know what to do the rest of the way - you either plug in known values into it or write down formulas for the unknown variables. Repeat until all variables are known.
These are the basics. I don't know of any videos. This is just a logical approach to problem solving.

Great! . I like it. Just one thing. Why don't you put out a list of formulas to consider for particular scenarios so students will have an idea of how to kick things off. That will surely do a lot of good. Cos everything is good and well but I struggle to find the top formula. This is an idea for you. Laybe you decide to do something, lev.
In the meantime, I am classifying all problems i have been working with so i will pay close attention from now on to your approach. Do you have a way to reach you on case im using a different approach but wants also to do it using your top down, if it is okay with you, that is.[like a DM right here on the forum]
And thanks very much. You staying with me and only you, was a breath of fresh air as opposed to 3 or 4 teachers giving you different ways to do it, for someone who learns that may prove a little overwhelming. I appreciate it.

Great! . I like it. Just one thing. Why don't you put out a list of formulas to consider for particular scenarios so students will have an idea of how to kick things off. That will surely do a lot of good. Cos everything is good and well but I struggle to find the top formula. This is an idea for you. Laybe you decide to do something, lev.
In the meantime, I am classifying all problems i have been working with so i will pay close attention from now on to your approach. Do you have a way to reach you on case im using a different approach but wants also to do it using your top down, if it is okay with you, that is.[like a DM right here on the forum]
And thanks very much. You staying with me and only you, was a breath of fresh air as opposed to 3 or 4 teachers giving you different ways to do it, for someone who learns that may prove a little overwhelming. I appreciate it.
Such list of formulas would be too big. The students should be able to figure what relationship is being referred to by the problem. Or what relationship is needed to figure out other unknown quantities. E.g. review you thought process for this problem and try to figure out why the top formula didn't come to mind, but you knew immediately how to calculate the volume of a box.
I am not sure how useful it is to classify all problems. E.g. does this problem belong to the "work" or "geometry" category?
I would keep working on problems concentrating on translating English into math concepts and relationships. E.g. water in a pool is a prism with certain dimensions. The pumping is modelled by a linear relationship: Volume = Rate*Time.
Feel free to DM if I you want me to look at a thread.

Such list of formulas would be too big. The students should be able to figure what relationship is being referred to by the problem. Or what relationship is needed to figure out other unknown quantities. E.g. review you thought process for this problem and try to figure out why the top formula didn't come to mind, but you knew immediately how to calculate the volume of a box.
I am not sure how useful it is to classify all problems. E.g. does this problem belong to the "work" or "geometry" category?
I would keep working on problems concentrating on translating English into math concepts and relationships. E.g. water in a pool is a prism with certain dimensions. The pumping is modelled by a linear relationship: Volume = Rate*Time.
Thanjs, ill do that for sure. Have a good evening.

16/12 is not 1.33.
16/12 = 4/3 = 1 1/3 = 1.333333333... which is much different then 1.33. Sorry!

L II et l l uovj k 7ème dz ou imu
16/12 is not 1.33.
16/12 = 4/3 = 1 1/3 = 1.333333333... which is much different then 1.33. Sorry!
I know, bu i thought repeating decimals could be shortened to the whole number and the first two. How do you multiply a repeating decimal if there is no end to the decimal?

L II et l l uovj k 7ème dz ou imu
I know, bu i thought repeating decimals could be shortened to the whole number and the first two. How do you multiply a repeating decimal if there is no end to the decimal?
Leaving those as fractions...

Nice!

Nice!
I started classifying them according to keywords. Just for the purpose of knowing where to go to if a problem i am working on happens to have the same keywords as others i have encountered.
Eg how long will it take to.....
That will be a heading then different subheadings will follow, as in
Pump water out of a basement
Out of cone-shoed cistern...
Out of a.....
Paint two walls...
Etc etc
By now you got it.
Im confident it will prove useful in many instances.
There are many diffrent headings and asxmany subheadings as i come across to. And, in reality, all these keywords would represent the math concepts and relationships your amazingly well-trained math mind would quickly represent

Last edited: