how many feet across is my plot of land

torie turk

I have a piece of property and I am trying to figure out how wide of a house I can build on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your consideration Torie

Capture.PNG

I have a piece of property and I am trying to figure out how wide of a house I can build on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your consideration Torie

View attachment 34856
Please provide a better copy of the data. Only two sides are labelled with their bearing, so what we have is insufficient; and two of the handwritten lengths disagree with the printed lengths.

Also, which direction do you consider "width"? And the one widest (or longest?) dimension isn't enough to decide about building a house, since a house has more than one dimension.

The long distance between any two points on the property will be from one of the 5 vertices to one of the vertices oppose it

The problem, as Dr Peterson mentioned, is that although you have the longest width, the length will have to be 0 when using this width. This means that your house will have 0 area--not good for a house!

Last edited:
Even your explanation is above my comprehension ? I am going to attempt to resubmit the question once I figure out a better way to ask it. I so appreciate getting a response. So nice of you to take the time. Thank you.

To make things a little clearer, here is an approximate drawing of this property, with a possible house drawn on it:

1674437328675.png

The heavy sides have known directions; the other three I had to guess. (North is up.) That's one issue.

The orientation and shape and size of the "house" are random, just to suggest the issues involved there.

Assuming the land is perfectly flat and level, so we're looking at everything being *usable* space, we still need to know the zoning requirements (which should have been included in the exercise). What are the back, side, and front set-backs? How will be property be accessed? If by a driveway of some sort, what are the zoning requirements for that?

Please note that the volunteers here are math helpers. You'll have to provide us with all of the other necessary information.

When you reply, please include a listing of your efforts so far, starting with the original exercise statement and what class you're studying ("Surveying 101"?) and what level maths you're comfortable with (pre-algebra? calculus?).

Thank you!

Eliz.