How many games?

Susan2013

Hi, I am trying to solve this problem and not confident about it. Can you please solve it?

Arman, Betty, Calcie, and David play checkers. Each of the 4 players played 2 games with every other player. How many games of checkers were there altogether?

I greatly appreciate your help in this!

Thanks!
Susan

How I solve it?

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my last post as to how I solved it.
I made combinations of the games that they all played together and got 12 games as answer, but I am not sure if it is the correct answer.

Any help is valuable at this moment!

Thanks

A double round robin! Here's how I would have done it: each person played two games each against each of the three other players- each player played 6 games. Since there are four players that is 4(6)= 24 games, altogether.

But each game involves two players so that is really 24/2= 12 games, as you say.

more thoughts!

A double round robin! Here's how I would have done it: each person played two games each against each of the three other players- each player played 6 games. Since there are four players that is 4(6)= 24 games, altogether.

But each game involves two players so that is really 24/2= 12 games, as you say.

Thanks for the explanation! I kind of get it your way, but not able to understand that last part where you divide it by 2.
When I solved it I just made combination like: AB AC AD
BA BC BD
CA CB CD
DA DB DC
total = 12 games as each player is already playing 2 games with each other.
What are your thoughts? Is this seems logical?

Thanks!
Susan

Hi, I am trying to solve this problem and not confident about it. Can you please solve it?

Arman, Betty, Calcie, and David play checkers. Each of the 4 players played 2 games with every other player.
*This is poor wording. For instance, if you were assigned to work "every other" problem in a list of
exercises, you would working 1/2 (or near number depending).

For example, you would do 1, 3, 5, 7, ... or possibly 2, 4, 6, 8,,,

How many games of checkers were there altogether?

I think the problem is correctly stated. I don't see any problem with the wordings.

Examples:

There are four players seated around a table. I am not one of them. I played every other
player one time each. How many games were played? Two.

There are four players seated around a table. I am not one of them. I played all of
the other players one time each. How many games were played? Four.

Last edited:
lookagain's point is that "every other player" is ambiguous. Yes, you intended "each of the other players" but if i have 8 packages and I open "every other package" I have opened 4 of them.