How many goats will you need to achieve an income of $20,000 per month?

Dianne

If any clever person can give me some answers to this question I shall be eternally grateful. I have to work on some costings for a farmer so this is a real life problem.

MAKING MONEY FROM GOATS
Each pregnant goat (doe) costs $1,500.
Each doe can produce 4 kids every two years.
The does are pregnant for five months, nurse their kids for three months, and then are rebred.
Each kid is sold at 6 months old for $700.
If you have 50 newly pregnant goats how long will it take to earn any income?
How much will that income be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Each pregnant goat (doe) costs $1,500.
Are all goats purchased after confirmation of pregnancy? If so, then how many months pregnant are they, on average?

Each doe can produce 4 kids every two years.
Is that really "four every two years" (so they breed once every two years, having four kids as a result), or really "two kids every year"?

The does are pregnant for five months, nurse their kids for three months, and then are rebred.
What are the fees for breeding?

Each kid is sold at 6 months old for $700.
What are the costs to maintaining the kids for those six months? (For instance, food is required for three of those months.)

What are the running costs for maintaining each doe?

If you have 50 newly pregnant goats how long will it take to earn any income?
If they're purchased pregnant, pregnancies last five months, and the kids are sold six months later, then how many months is that, at most?

How much will that income be?
How many does did you buy? How many kids will they have? How much income is that?

For this part, you'll need to consider the costs of having enough does to stagger the pregnancies and thus the sales.

If any clever person can give me some answers to this question I shall be eternally grateful.
Sorry but, as you read in the "Read Before Posting" thread, that's not how this site works.

Please reply showing your work and reasoning so far. Thank you! ;)