How Many Speaker Boxes Can Be Made From 1 Sheet Of Particle Board?

BrysonHunt95

Here's the details:

1 - 4'x8'x1/2" Particle Board

The speaker(s) are 18" in diameter and the boxes must be 3FT^3 in volume.

I need to know how many speaker boxes can be made out of this one board. I would really like somebody to explain it to me along with the answer. I don't want just the answer.

Thanks in advance!!

Here's the details:

1 - 4'x8'x1/2" Particle Board

The speaker(s) are 18" in diameter and the boxes must be 3FT^3 in volume.

I need to know how many speaker boxes can be made out of this one board.
What do you mean by "diameter"? Are you referring just to the cone (and associated hardware), and you're building a case to go around this cone? Also, in what manner must the boxes be of the given volume? Are you supposed to provide minimal "face" with room in back of the cone, or in some other manner form the space? Are you working with "ideal" mathematical measurements, or are you supposed to take the thickness of the particle board into account?

When you reply, please include a clear listing of your efforts so far. Thank you! ;)

Here is how this went. It was a random question asked for "homework" in my engineering class. I'm pretty positive I'm just looking at the thickness of the board and the diameter of the face of the speaker. Although, the speaker(s) need 3 cubed feet inside the box to have the correct acoustics. I believe this is why I am having difficulty with the problem, because it has to many variables and not enough information in the problem itself.

The only condition given appears to be that "The speaker(s) are 18" in diameter and the boxes must be 3FT^3 in volume." So one face must be at least 18" by 18" to accommodate the speaker. 18 in is 3/2 ft so if there is a thickness, t, the volume is (9/4)t= 3 and t= 4/3= 1 and 1/3 foot. You must have two sides that are 3/2 feet by 3/2 feet and 4 that are 3/2 by 4/3 feet.

Last edited:
The sound doesn't matter. This is never going to be an actual thing. It's basically saying that the manufacturer of the speaker suggests 3ft^3 inside space. I'm totally stumped with this.