How tell if a big fraction can't be simplified more?

mathstriker

Hello there. I have been wondering is there a trick to tell if a big number fraction can be further simplified or not? Like how to tell if 1234/4356 is able to be simplified?

In the example you give, we can immediately see both the numerator and denominator are even, so they can both de divided by 2. In general, I would use a prime factorization on the two numbers to see what factors they may have in common.

[MATH]1234=2\cdot617[/MATH]
[MATH]4356=2^2\cdot3^2\cdot11^2[/MATH]
We see that 2 is the only factor the two numbers have in common.

If you have very large numbers so that factoring completely is hard, you can find the GCF by the Euclidean algorithm, which requires only a series of divisions.

I'm assuming you aren't using a calculator; many calculators will do the simplification for you, if you ask them politely (and are allowed to).

My response is that you should know the divisibility rules.

For example a number is divisible by 2 if the last digit is even.

A number is divisible by 3 if the sum of the digits is a multiple of 3.

A number is divisible by 4 if 4 goes into the two most right digits.

A number is divisible by 5 if the number ends in a 0 or a 5.

A number is divisible by 6 if it satisfies the rules for divisible by 3 and the rule for divisibly by 2.

Knowing these rule will be very helpful.

For example I know that 4356 is divisible by 3 since 4+3+5+6 = 18 and 18 is a multiple of 3. It also is a multiple of 2 since it ends in an even digit, namely 6. As a result of the above it is also divisible by 6.

Reducing is a game and to play the game you need to know the rules!