How to calculate breakeven days or months

rfbrenner

My daughter has two problems that ask her to find the number of days or months for two different series to equal. I don't remember how to figure it out algebraically - only manually. In one case we're told that Verizon gives 4 free months and then $25 per month thereafter while Sprint gives 3 free months and charges $20 thereafter. It wants to know how many months it will take before two subscribers - one on Verizon and one on Sprint would have paid exactly the same total. The answer is that they would both pay $100 at the end of the 8th month.

In the second problem we're told that Blockbuster charges $2.25 for the first day and $.15 per day thereafter. Hollywood charges $5 for the first two days and then $ .05 per day thereafter. It wants to know the same thing - after how many days would a renter under each system spend the same amount.

As I said, I used a spreadsheet to set up a table and calculate a running balance under each scenario. But since my daughter is in pre-algebra I assume there must be some algebraic expression that would calculate this easier than doing the brute force method.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thank you
rfbrenner

My daughter has two problems that ask her to find the number of days or months for two different series to equal. I don't remember how to figure it out algebraically - only manually. In one case we're told that Verizon gives 4 free months and then $25 per month thereafter while Sprint gives 3 free months and charges $20 thereafter. It wants to know how many months it will take before two subscribers - one on Verizon and one on Sprint would have paid exactly the same total. The answer is that they would both pay $100 at the end of the 8th month.

Please do not double-post.

Assign variables:
Let x represent time (in this case the number of months)
Let y represent the cost in dollars.

“Verizon gives 4 free months and then $25 per month thereafter”: if we graph this, it means we have a point on the x-axis of (4,0) – representing the 4 free months. On the 5th month, we’d have a point at (5,25). Make sense? Our graph would be a line running through these two points, and the slope of the line would be 25.

Putting this into an equation in point-slope form, using the point (4,0) and a slope of 25:

y – y1 = m(x – x1)
y – 0 = 25(x – 4)

If you want to put this into slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, just rearrange it algebraically:

y = 25x – 100

Following the same logic for “Sprint gives 3 free months and charges $20 thereafter”, we’d get

y – 0 = 20(x – 3)

And rearranging get

y = 20x – 60

Solving for x we get

25x – 100 = 20x – 60
5x = 40
x = 8

Plugging 10 back into the original equations, we find that

y = 25(8) – 100 = 100
Or
y = 20(8) –60 = 100

So, at 8 months, we pay $100 for either package.

If you graph these two line equations, they will intersect at (8,100).

Hope that helps.

Amazing! Thank you very much. (Sorry for the double post - I wasn't sure the pre-algebra topic would work).

I can see that I need to pull out a book and bone up on my algebra (slope of line, etc!). She's in seventh grade. They would definitely not know anything about this level of complexity in that grade, so I wonder how the teacher expected them to do it.

thanks again,

Rick

Rick, there's really no need for stuff like "slopes" here, IF the problems remain similar to the two you posted.
A problem has 2 choices, each with an "initial cost", and with a repeating cost; like:
choice 1: 20 initially, then 5 per day ; make that A initially, then X per day
choice 2: 10 initially, then 7 per day ; make that B initially, then Y per day

We need the point where both are equal; let that be D days:
A + XD = B + YD
YD - XD = A - B
D(Y - X) = A - B
D = (A - B) / (Y - X)

So, using my example above:
D = (20 - 10) / (7 - 5) = 5

So in 5 days, both plans have cost same; then choice 1 becomes cheapest, being 5 per day.

So it is really quite simple:
(difference in initial costs) / (difference in repeating costs)

Hope that helps...