how to read this problem: "I've turned 29 for the 19th time. How old am I?"

mathdaughter

I was asked this following problem but don't know how to resolve it. Anybody can help me? thanks.

I have turned 29 for the 19th time, what is my real age.

I was asked this following problem but don't know how to resolve it. Anybody can help me? thanks.

Ah, yes, we're riffing off of the whole "a woman does not turn 30, she turns 29 for the 2nd time." Using this jokey logic, a woman's real age would be 30 when she turns 29 for the 2nd time. Her real age would then be 31 when she turns 29 for the 3rd time. Can you see a pattern here that will help you solve this exercise?

Ah, yes, we're riffing off of the whole "a woman does not turn 30, she turns 29 for the 2nd time." Using this jokey logic, a woman's real age would be 30 when she turns 29 for the 2nd time. Her real age would then be 31 when she turns 29 for the 3rd time. Can you see a pattern here that will help you solve this exercise?
yes, I see now. But it is more like a reading quiz.

… it is more like a reading quiz …
I think it's worse than that.

As a math exercise, that single sentence is really insufficient. We're not even told that a woman said it!!

Even if it were assigned as only a "fun" riddle, the teacher ought to have provided some clue as to what the author was talking about. :roll:

1. If you've turned 29 once, how old are you?

2. If, the following year, you "turn 29 again", how old are you (really)?

3-19. Continue, until you see the pattern (or until you've done this another seventeen times). ;)