How to write this absolute value expr? temperature tolerance of ±15oF in engineering

jay.bird

How to write this absolute value expr? temperature tolerance of ±15oF in engineering

Tolerance in engineering is an allowance made for imperfections in a manufactured object. The manufacturer of an oven specifies a temperature tolerance of ±15oF. This means that the temperature inside the oven will be within 15oF of the temperature that it is set on. Write an absolute value expression to represent the maximum and minimum temperatures inside the oven when the thermostat is set on 400oF. (o means degrees)

So I know that 15 would be the absolute value, but I have zero clue how to make an expression with it and 400.

Please help me, thanks!

What are the minimum and maximum temperatures?

That will get us on our way.

Tolerance in engineering is an allowance made for imperfections in a manufactured object. The manufacturer of an oven specifies a temperature tolerance of ±15oF. This means that the temperature inside the oven will be within 15oF of the temperature that it is set on. Write an absolute value expression to represent the maximum and minimum temperatures inside the oven when the thermostat is set on 400oF. (o means degrees)

So I know that 15 would be the absolute value...
What do you mean by this? Are you thinking that "15" would be alone in the absolute-value bars? (In fact, I propose that "15" will be outside of the absolute-value bars!)

What variable did you choose to represent the actual temperature (as opposed to the desired temperature of 400 degrees)?

What is the minimum number of degrees that the actual temperature could be "off"? What is the minimum value of any absolute-value expression?

What is the maximum number of degrees that the actual temperature could be "off" (in either direction)? How does this relate to absolute values?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)