HTML??

Mrspi

Some of us (like me, a Mac person) do not use LaTex....I've gotten by in the past using HTML tags for things like exponents, but apparently that doesn't work any more. Or, maybe I have just not figured out the right syntax to get it to work here.

Also....we used to have the ability to move from one topic to the next or previous one within one board. I can't find any way to do that now. I find it cumbersome to have to go back to the board topic list in order to move to another topic. Probably this is not something that bothers anyone else....but it does bother me, so I thought I'd mention it.

Janet

I'll look into that... thanks. I knew the HTML had disappeared and I want to get that back too. If necessary you can use the SUP bbcode instead... just like html:

Code:
[sup]exponent goes here[/sup]

Mrspi said:
Some of us (like me, a Mac person) do not use LaTex....I've gotten by in the past using HTML tags for things like exponents, but apparently that doesn't work any more. Or, maybe I have just not figured out the right syntax to get it to work here.

Also....we used to have the ability to move from one topic to the next or previous one within one board. I can't find any way to do that now. I find it cumbersome to have to go back to the board topic list in order to move to another topic. Probably this is not something that bothers anyone else....but it does bother me, so I thought I'd mention it.

Janet

What does using a Mac have anything to do with latex? :oops: Web-services are platform independent. "Web services will someday make the desktop was, silly" I use latex from Mac, Windows, Linux and even my kitchen toaster on occasion.
I recommend using latex because it makes formatting much easier than using brackets and standards-compliant html. There is no excuse for not using the "tex" button in the forum - you then write your code within the "[ tex]" "[/tex]" brackets, and the forum creates the image... no need for a local application... only need a web browser :)

Cheers,
John

jwpaine said:
What does using a Mac have anything to do with latex? :oops: Web-services are platform independent. "Web services will someday make the desktop was, silly" I use latex from Mac, Windows, Linux and even my kitchen toaster on occasion.
I
Cheers,
John

I'm certainly not going to argue with a high school kid who knows everything, and does not use a Mac. The LaTex tools are NOT all that Mac friendly. But....who am I to say. I'm 66 years old, fairly computer literate...and a Mac person until they pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Maybe I should try my toaster?

What you do on a forum has nothing to do with the operating system that you are running (at most web browser, but it works fine with firefox) - does typing code in a text area and pushing "submit" dependent on OS? :shock: the LaTeX code is rendered, server-side. Therefore, typing in LaTeX code into a forum post is no different than typing regular text. What LaTeX "tool" are you referring to? Is typing in code with your hands and pushing submit, considered a tool? I'm certainly not trying to be sarcastic, but I don't think that Ted needs to take time to look into things or take time to make changes that are caused by user error. My 2-cents.

I assume he means that as a mac user he doesn't have familiarity with LaTeX already, whereas some Windows users might have used it before. Of course, anyone can use it on here without regard to OS, but if you're not used to LaTeX, basic HTML might be easier. I do think it would be good to look at a few LaTeX commands though, because it does make for nicer formulae without needing to know much at all.

Ok...it is the toaster for me.

There are "easy" LaTex editors for Windoze users. NOT for Macs.....Please see the "forum help" topics.

Yes, John....I suppose I COULD type all the LaTex symbols...ain't happening. Might be time for me to take a vacation from here and let the kiddies take over.

Any other HTML commands that you find useful? I can add them as BBcode... like the example. This version of phpBB specifically prevents using HTML.

Ted said:
Any other HTML commands that you find useful?
Maybe subscripting...?

Ted said:
This version of phpBB specifically prevents using HTML.
That's a shame. Very many old posts (from previous versions of the forum script) are now going to be much less readable, and thus less useful. :(

Eliz.