i dont even know how to start, i am confused , can someone explain me how to do it? question 5

Okay, let me ask you if you understand what is meant by \(LM\) and \(NP\)?

To add to MarkFL question, what does it mean for LM = NP? (you 1st must know the answer to MarkFL's question)

LM is the line segment from point L to point M
NP is the line segment from point N to point P
So what does it mean for LM = NP?
Does LM=ML??
Please answer those two question and think why I am asking them.

I don't understandwhat it mean?

It typically means the length of the line segment having the given endpoints. How do we determine the length of a line segment?

Okay, let me ask you if you understand what is meant by \(LM\) and \(NP\)?
As far as I know there is no standard notation. The most common is that \(\displaystyle \overline{LM}\) is the line segment with endpoints \(\displaystyle L~\&~M\), while \(\displaystyle LM\) is the length of \(\displaystyle \overline{LM}\).
So \(\displaystyle {LM}=\sqrt{|2q-(-q-1)|^2+|-5-5|^2}\)

As far as I know there is no standard notation. The most common is that \(\displaystyle \overline{LM}\) is the line segment with endpoints \(\displaystyle L~\&~M\), while \(\displaystyle LM\) is the length of \(\displaystyle \overline{LM}\).
So \(\displaystyle {LM}=\sqrt{|2q-(-q-1)|^2+|-5-5|^2}\)

I also prefer the overline notation, but I was hoping the OP would recognize that it's the distance between two points that we can use to compute the length of a line segment.

I get:

[MATH]\overline{LM}=\sqrt{(-q-1-2q)^2+(5-(-5))^2}=\sqrt{(3q+1)^2+10^2}=\sqrt{9q^2+6q+101}[/MATH]
Do you see that you simply forgot the 10 was being squared, otherwise your radicand would have been correct.

Can you now find \(\overline{NP}\)?

Ř
I get:

[MATH]\overline{LM}=\sqrt{(-q-1-2q)^2+(5-(-5))^2}=\sqrt{(3q+1)^2+10^2}=\sqrt{9q^2+6q+101}[/MATH]
Do you see that you simply forgot the 10 was being squared, otherwise your radicand would have been correct.

I got square root 200 as an answer for NP.

Ř
I get:

I get:

I got square root 200 as an answeet for NP.
I did it, thx u so much for taking the time .
Okay, good. Now equate the two radicands, and solve for \(q\). What do you get?
Okay, good. Now equate the two radicands, and solve for \(q\). What do you get?

I get:

[MATH]9q^2+6q+101=200[/MATH]
[MATH]9q^2+6q-99=0[/MATH]
[MATH]3q^2+2q-33=0[/MATH]
[MATH](3q+11)(q-3)=0[/MATH]
[MATH]q\in\left\{-\frac{11}{3},3\right\}\quad\checkmark[/MATH]

I
I get:

[MATH]9q^2+6q+101=200[/MATH]
[MATH]9q^2+6q-99=0[/MATH]
[MATH]3q^2+2q-33=0[/MATH]
[MATH](3q+11)(q-3)=0[/MATH]