I don't even know what category this goes into...

bryangriffin

I'm writing a Star Trek screenplay but I really suck at math, and instead of having Spock spout some random statistic, I'd like him to give his reasons for his calculations. The example I need solved is this: In 36 attacks against the Klingons only 14 Starfleet captains have been successful in their attacks on the Klingon forces. Based on this information what are the odds of launching a successful attack?

I'm writing a Star Trek screenplay but I really suck at math, and instead of having Spock spout some random statistic, I'd like him to give his reasons for his calculations. The example I need solved is this: In 36 attacks against the Klingons only 14 Starfleet captains have been successful in their attacks on the Klingon forces. Based on this information what are the odds of launching a successful attack?

To start off - do you know the difference between odds and probability?

Please share your work with us.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (e.g. "are these correct?")

I read the rules. I have no idea of how to get the answer to this problem. I'm not even sure what kind of problem this is. No. I don't know the difference between odds or probability. I have no clue how to attack this problem. I'm not even sure its arithmatic. I assume (and yes I know what assume means) that I would divide the number of successful attacks with either the number of successful engagements or the number of unsuccessful attacks which would be 14 divided by 22 or 14 divided by 36 or 36 divided by 14 or 36 by 22. Let's assume for a moment that I'm in the second grade. How do I solve this problem? What type of problem is this? I can't show you my work because I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

I read the rules. I have no idea of how to get the answer to this problem. I'm not even sure what kind of problem this is. No. I don't know the difference between odds or probability. I have no clue how to attack this problem. I'm not even sure its arithmatic. I assume (and yes I know what assume means) that I would divide the number of successful attacks with either the number of successful engagements or the number of unsuccessful attacks which would be 14 divided by 22 or 14 divided by 36 or 36 divided by 14 or 36 by 22. Let's assume for a moment that I'm in the second grade. How do I solve this problem? What type of problem is this? I can't show you my work because I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
With no further information, the probability of success is \(\displaystyle \dfrac{successful\ attacks\ 14}{36\ attacks} \approx 38.89\%\ probability\ of\ success.\)

Personally, I think probabilities are a better way to express degrees of certainty, and probably Spock would agree. But odds are a perfectly valid way to proceed.

For the distinction between odds and probability, see http://www.math-magic.com/probability/prob_to_odds.htm

Thank you!

Sorry if I sounded cranky in my last message. Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it... :)