I don't know how to go from this equation to its equal equation

Jackster

1/[(3^0.5)-1]=[(3^0.5)+1]/2

Both sides equal 1.36603... but I don't know the steps to get from the first equation to the second. Would you be able to tell me the steps to take at a very basic level to convert the left side into the right side of the equation?

Thanks,
Jack

1/[(3^0.5)-1]=[(3^0.5)+1]/2

Both sides equal 1.36603... but I don't know the steps to get from the first equation to the second.
The sides are just "expressions" since, by definition, the sides do not include the "equals" sign. So I think you're asking how to go from the expression on the one side of the equation to the expression on the other side of the equation. You've verified that both sides evaluate to the same decimal form, so you "believe" the equation, but you're foggy on the arithmetic.

First, I'll state what I'm seeing the equation to be:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{3^{0.5}\, -\, 1}\, =\, \dfrac{3^{0.5}\, +\, 1}{2}\)

Second, let's convert the left-hand side to radical notation:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}\, -\, 1}\)

Third, recall that it's considered "improper" (at this stage of your studies) to have a radical in the denominator. To get rid of the radical, you'll need to multiply, top and bottom, by the conjugate of the radical expression:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \left(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{3}\, -\, 1}\right)\, \left(\dfrac{\sqrt{3}\, +\, 1}{\sqrt{3}\, +\, 1}\right)\)

What do you get when you do the computations? ;)

Got it now!

What do you get when you do the computations? ;)

YES!!!! It works!!! Thanks so much for clear and fast reply, Stapel. I didn't really recognize that it was an improper radical type of problem until you showed me.

Also thanks for the tip about my wording. Yes, using expression instead of equality is what I should have said.

Thanks again. Back to studying.

Jack