I got stuck in this work and tank word problem please someone help me out.

eeman22

A tank has 1 filling pipe and 2 drain pipes. The filling pipe can fill an empty tank in 10 minutes while the 2 drain pipes can drain a full tank in 20 and 30 minutes respectively If all 3 are opened in an empty tank, how long will it take to fill it?

Where are you stuck? This is a math help site where volunteers help student by given hints so they can solve their own problem.

Here is a hint. How much is ending up in the tank after 10 minutes What is left in the tank = what you put in through the fill pipe - what you remove by drain pipe # 1 - what you remove by drain pipe #2.

If the above is puzzling to you then break up the 10 minutes into three parts. How part of the tank was filled by the fill tank in the 10 minutes. What part of the tank was emptied by drain pipe #1 in 10 minutes and what part of the tank was emptied by drain pipe #2 in 10 minutes. So after 10 minutes what part of the tank is filled. So many of those 10 minus intervals do we need to fill the entire tank?

Post back showing your work.

A tank has 1 filling pipe and 2 drain pipes. The filling pipe can fill an empty tank in 10 minutes while the 2 drain pipes can drain a full tank in 20 and 30 minutes respectively If all 3 are opened in an empty tank, how long will it take to fill it?
Please show us WHERE you are stuck, so we can see what help you need. There are various ways to solve a problem like this, and if we suggested ideas for one method, we might be working against what you are learning.

all the rates add with the drainage rates being negative.

The rates are 1/10 tank/min, -1/20 and -1/30 tanks/min

1/10 - 1/20 - 1/30 = 1/60 tank/min or

1 tank/hr

i.e. it takes an hr to fill the tank with all three pipes open.