i nedd help

luizpadilla said:
how can i simplify the square root of -225?
Hey YOU, please stop posting under various names...
ERIK VARGAS
JOSE JAIME-RODRIGUEZ
Jaycen Mont-Rios
...to name a few.

To answer your question: throw the minus sign away...
OH STAPEL: 3 guesses as to who this guy is 8-)

thank u and no i dont know who this is and what do u mean stop posting diferent names

hey this is a pretty easy problem and the steps to finding the awnser are easy as well.
to find the awnser to the problem you just prettend the negative sighn isnt there and try to think of what number multiplied by itself will equal 225.
the awnser will come to be 15 because 15 x 15=225
as you can see the steps are realy easy.

Eva Barragan said:
hey this is a pretty easy problem...you just prettend the negative sighn isnt there...the awnser will come to be 15....
Actually, the "minus" sign is crucial to the answer, so you cannot "just prettend[sic]" that the "sighn[sic] isnt[sic] there". And the answer will not be "15". Sorry.

To the original poster: Please reply stating whether or not you have studied complex numbers, as this stipulation is necessary for the tutors to know how to answer your question.

Thank you.

Eliz.

its not......?
are you sure.......?
well than i guess i need help with this problem to.
thanks for correcting me Eliz and sorry to the original poster.
thanx again eliz
sorry luis

Eva Barragan said:
hey this is a pretty easy problem and the steps to finding the awnser are easy as well.
to find the awnser to the problem you just prettend the negative sighn isnt there and try to think of what number multiplied by itself will equal 225.

You can't just wish away the negative sign.

It's crucial where you put the negative sign in the answer (inside or outside the parenthesis).

The correct answer is -15^2 (you don't square the neg sign).
This makes -225

On the other hand (-15)^2 would make a positive 225.

This is confusing at first but becomes clear when you write out the factors.

For example:

-3^2
-(3)(3)=-9 (neg nine)

(-3)^2
(-3)(-3)=9 (pos nine)

math-tutor said:
[quote="Eva Barragan":1j91ihf5]hey this is a pretty easy problem and the steps to finding the awnser are easy as well.

You can't just wish away the negative sign.

It's crucial where you put the negative sign in the answer (inside or outside the parenthesis).

The correct answer is -15^2 (you don't square the neg sign).
This makes -225

I am thinking now that this problem requires imaginary numbers. Ignore my answer for the time being.

On the other hand (-15)^2 would make a positive 225.

This is confusing at first but becomes clear when you write out the factors.

For example:

-3^2
-(3)(3)=-9 (neg nine)

(-3)^2
(-3)(-3)=9 (pos nine)[/quote:1j91ihf5]

I am thinking now that this problem requires working with imaginary numbers. Ignore my answer for the time being.

wow that realy did help me understand the problem.
thank you for explaining it to me.
it realy did help.
thanks your help was much appriciated.
thanx
:D