I need help on a some questions?

melony11

1) (6-18)/3.(-2)

2) if a (clover symbol) b=ab-b squared, find (-1) (clover symbol) 3

3)simplify: (4x to the third)squared

4)simplify: 3x squared(4x squared-3x)-(-2x to the third-7)+4x to the fourth.[/tex][/list]

Hello, melony11!

Are you really having trouble with these?

\(\displaystyle 1)\;\L\frac{6\,-\,18}{3(-2)}\)

We have: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{-12}{-6} \:=\:\fbox{2}\)

2) If \(\displaystyle a\,\oplus\,b \:=\:ab\,-\,b^2,\:\)find: \(\displaystyle \,(-1)\,\oplus\,3\)

Following the definition, we have:

. . \(\displaystyle (-1)\,\oplus\,3\;=\;(-1)(3)\,-\,3^2\;=\;-3\,-\,9\;=\;\fbox{-12}\)

3) Simplify: \(\displaystyle \,\left(4x^3\right)^2\)

We have: \(\displaystyle \:4^2\,\cdot\,\left(x^3\right)^2\;=\;\fbox{16x^6}\)

4) Simplify: \(\displaystyle \,3x^2(4x^2\,-\,3x)\,-\,(-2x^3\,-\,7)\,+\,4x^4\)

Multiply: \(\displaystyle \:12x^4\,-\,9x^3\,+\,2x^3\,+\,7\,+\,4x^4\)

Combine: \(\displaystyle \:\fbox{16x^4\,-\,7x^3\,+\,7}\)

soroban said:
Are you really having trouble with these?
If somebody has always given her the answers, rather than helping her with advice and hints so she could learn on her own, then it would seem quite reasonable that she would be having difficulty. :roll:

Eliz.

stapel said:
If somebody has always given her the answers, rather than helping her with advice and hints so she could learn on her own, then it would seem quite reasonable that she would be having difficulty.
I suspect it is more important for some people to show how they can do the question than it is for them for the student to actually learn something.

As a student, I was honor bound to leave the room if another student was giving a proof that I had done on my own. What a different world it is today.

Let's see, post a good problem. Soroban will give you a completely perfect solution. Copy it; turn it in; get full credit. Maybe that is the difference in community college education and other college teaching.

Thank you for your help but not everybody can get the simplest problems right. And for the fisrt problem I put 2 and I was told it was wrong.

melony11 said:
Thank you for your help but not everybody can get the simplest problems right. And for the fisrt problem I put 2 and I was told it was wrong.
Melony, before you posted your problems, you should have asked someone
to show you HOW to post :shock:

What does this mean:
1) (6-18)/3.(-2) :?:
Why is there a "dot"?

6 - 18 = -12 : understand?
-12 / 3 = -4
-4 * -2 = 8 : that would be the answer if you mean: (6 - 18) / 3 * -2

If you don't know that a * (clover leaf?) means multiplication, well...good luck.