I need help with this problem. It is pretty urgent. Please HeLp

trashboi084

The State wants to build a power station along an East-West highway to supply power
to four small towns, A, B, C, & D located along the highway. Town C is 100 miles West
of D and 85 miles East of B. Town A is 30 miles West of B. The cost of connecting the
power station to any town in $1000 per mile of cable. The total budget cannot exceed
$230,000. Where can the power station be located? You must provide a separate cable
connection from the power station to each town.

The State wants to build a power station along an East-West highway to supply power to four small towns, A, B, C, & D located along the highway. Town C is 100 miles West of D and 85 miles East of B. Town A is 30 miles West of B. The cost of connecting the power station to any town in $1000 per mile of cable. The total budget cannot exceed $230,000. Where can the power station be located? You must provide a separate cable connection from the power station to each town.
Note that towns A, B, C, D and the power stations are all on the East-West Highway. If I were to do this problem I would:

First plot on a line A, B, C & D and note there relative distances. Then I would choose one of those (A or B or C or D) as origin and locate the power plant at a distance 'p' from the origin.

Now calculate PA, PB, PC and PD.

Note that PA + PB + PC + PD ≤ 230

From this you should be able to calculate 'p'.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

@Subhotosh Khan, I am going to show you my solution. Please let me know if it is right.

ssl-img-proxy

Please let me know if I did it right? But, I still don't get the possible placement. I just need help finding the possible placement.

@Subhotosh Khan, I am going to show you my solution. Please let me know if it is right.

ssl-img-proxy

Please let me know if I did it right? But, I still don't get the possible placement. I just need help finding the possible placement.
It is possible! Suppose I put :

the power plant at town A. How much total line is needed? (AB + AC + AD)

the power plant at town B. How much total line is needed? Continue.....

I came to the same conclusion, a slightly different way. I agree that there is no solution as the problem is stated. Maybe we're both reading it differently than Subhotosh.

I came to the same conclusion, a slightly different way. I agree that there is no solution as the problem is stated. Maybe we're both reading it differently than Subhotosh.
Yes my solution to the problem was to string a power-line from A to D and then tap-out power for each town.

Yes my solution to the problem was to string a power-line from A to D and then tap-out power for each town.
The problem explicitly forbids that: "You must provide a separate cable connection from the power station to each town."

Wait. So if we are providing a separate cable connection, does that mean that there are no solutions to the problem, right?